Menu

EKS, thank you!

You are like the drive-by goddess of wisdom.

Mature brain? Immature body? Math. Write the advanced problems for them. Brilliant! One of the best tips I have received for homeschooling and it may have saved Sailor Dude's life.

A passing comment on how much you liked Strayer's Ways of the World.

This was the missing piece for me in how to get both an AP and WTM feel to our World History. The primary source work at the end of the chapters provided us with the best example of how to approach that type of analysis.

Thanks so much!

If you were only going to use a few chapters, it may not be worthwhile for you. I think I spent $25 for a "good" copy and thankfully, it was clean.

If you want to take an AP approach where you are really examining "changes," "comparisons," and "connections" across geographical regions and time periods, Strayer is very helpful. I have two other AP approved texts and they have more detail than Strayer does, but they feel more fragmented and in my opinion, are not as well-written. Also, Strayer spells out the similarities and differences between cultures or time periods. Because I am working with a freshman, I want him to see a well-done example of that type of analysis. Because I have the time, and we aren't doing world history in one year, but are sandwiching it around AP European and APUSH, I am having him work from all three texts. There are some discrepancies and its good for ds to see that even well-credentialed educators can't always agree.

Did you read the sample chapter that I believe is on the same page you linked?

If you were only going to use a few chapters, it may not be worthwhile for you. I think I spent $25 for a "good" copy and thankfully, it was clean.

If you want to take an AP approach where you are really examining "changes," "comparisons," and "connections" across geographical regions and time periods, Strayer is very helpful. I have two other AP approved texts and they have more detail than Strayer does, but they feel more fragmented and in my opinion, are not as well-written. Also, Strayer spells out the similarities and differences between cultures or time periods. Because I am working with a freshman, I want him to see a well-done example of that type of analysis. Because I have the time, and we aren't doing world history in one year, but are sandwiching it around AP European and APUSH, I am having him work from all three texts. There are some discrepancies and its good for ds to see that even well-credentialed educators can't always agree.

Did you read the sample chapter that I believe is on the same page you linked?

I clicked through some of the chapter outlines. I like the arrangement as well. Amazon has volume 2 for a decent price (that's what we would need), so I may order a used copy to look. Thanks for mentioning it. I missed it when originally mentioned.

I clicked through some of the chapter outlines. I like the arrangement as well. Amazon has volume 2 for a decent price (that's what we would need), so I may order a used copy to look. Thanks for mentioning it. I missed it when originally mentioned.

I forgot you could get them in two volumes. Be sure to get this one with sources. Let me know what you think as I am quite bad at reviewing books, especially for someone who has strong opinions about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Swimmermom3, do you think Vols. 1 and 2 can be used by themselves for studying world history? If those were the only books I use, can they be reasonably finished in one year, or would it be better to stretch it out to 1.5-2 years?

I just asked dd what history she would like to cover next year and she wanted to study world history. We loved using SWB's Ancient World book two years ago but I found that I needed help in coming up with ideas to get her to write more, to make connections with ideas instead of just writing about facts.

Swimmermom3, do you think Vols. 1 and 2 can be used by themselves for studying world history? If those were the only books I use, can they be reasonably finished in one year, or would it be better to stretch it out to 1.5-2 years?

I just asked dd what history she would like to cover next year and she wanted to study world history. We loved using SWB's Ancient World book two years ago but I found that I needed help in coming up with ideas to get her to write more, to make connections with ideas instead of just writing about facts.

Are you talking about Ways of the World? If so, yes, they can be used by themselves. You could easily finish both volumes in a year. My son and I finished them in a short semester (14 weeks). I don't recommend that pace, though!

Are you talking about Ways of the World? If so, yes, they can be used by themselves. You could easily finish both volumes in a year. My son and I finished them in a short semester (14 weeks). I don't recommend that pace, though!

Thank you! I hope you don't mind a few more questions. I see that there are different versions of Ways of the World. One has both volumes in one book. Then there are separate books for Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, both says "with sources" on the covers. Do you recommend the separate volumes with sources? Did you supplement the books by using the book website?

There is no difference between the books other than the volume number, I'm pretty sure. We had the separate volumes and it was nice not having to hold a huge book, but that would be the only reason I could see to get the two volumes over the one. We didn't use the website because we blew through the course so quickly, but I would have tried it if we had had more time.