Menu

Help on organizing/decorating DDs' room.

staceyobu

My two girls (age 8 and 3) share a very small bedroom. One wall has built in bookshelves. One wall has the bunk beds. One wall has the door and dresser. One wall has the closet. I feel like the wall of bookshelves has become a catch all for everything. I've tried purchasing some bins to hold stuff and make it look neater, but it still looks constantly junky to me. I am going to attach pictures of the current set up to see if anyone has any help. I didn't clean up before taking these pictures, so I could get it a little better looking... but this should give the general idea of what it looks like day in and day out.

I'm considering getting some of those Hobby Lobby words to go in the top of the shelves. I wanted some that said "sisters", but I've only found "family".

The closet is small and holds a plastic drawer unit with the younger DD's clothes. It also has a bin of dress up clothes and a laundry basket. There is a hall closet that could hold some overflow of toys.

DH has suggested ripping out the shelves to add a little bit of room square footage and then just buying bookshelves to hold the books. I'm not sure if I want to rip out built in shelves, though.

Any suggestions?

photo-1_zps078e4cb0.jpg

photo3_zps915fba0f.jpg

photo2-1_zps48785e87.jpg

The dresser has all of older DD's clothes in it. I might be able to hang more of her stuff and put some of the rest on the shelves.

I also like the idea of moving the stuffed animals off of the shelves. Those things drive me crazy, but they really love them and play with them quite a bit. I'm constantly trying to purge the least loved ones.

Can you use bigger bins on the built-in to hold whatever is in that dresser? I love the idea of curtains or doors over the shelves.

The shelves are not very deep at all. I have a hard time finding bins that will fit width wise and not hang way over.

If I wanted to hang curtains over the shelves, how would you go about hanging them? Just tack them onto the shelves? Do just the lower half or just the top half?

The shelves are not very deep at all. I have a hard time finding bins that will fit width wise and not hang way over.

If I wanted to hang curtains over the shelves, how would you go about hanging them? Just tack them onto the shelves? Do just the lower half or just the top half?

How long is the wall? And just how deep are the shelves?

How long is the wall? And just how deep are the shelves?

The wall is 135 inches total (or about 11 feet). The shelves are 9 inches wide and about 10 inches height. The bottom two shelves are slightly taller.

PS - You guys are awesome. I don't really have a knack for this sort of thing!

What color curtains?

Maybe white with a little ballet print to keep in theme with the room, but the white background would keep it from looking dark. And tensions rods are cheap.

Moving the stuffed animals would help a lot.

Even one of those collapsible laundry bins like target has to throw them in and then put in the closet or corner out of sight. (like this)

Get a bean bag cover and stuff the stuffed animal dolls in it and then it won't look so cluttery on the shelves. Plus it will offer some fun seating for them to sit and lounge on while reading a book. We got a tremendous bean bag cover and stuffed them with all of my girls stuffed animals and it works GREAT and gets used a lot!

OR, move either the bed or the dresser to cover some of the shelves?

If you move the bed to cover some of the shelves, the girls could store their favorite books or toys right next to their sleeping area and even use that shelf to hold a glass of water for night time. The hidden shelves could hold off-season clothing or toys that are rarely used.

OR, move either the bed or the dresser to cover some of the shelves?

If you move the bed to cover some of the shelves, the girls could store their favorite books or toys right next to their sleeping area and even use that shelf to hold a glass of water for night time. The hidden shelves could hold off-season clothing or toys that are rarely used.

:iagree: I had a loft bed next to some built-in bookshelves when I was in highschool & college, and it was perfect for just these reasons. A top-bunk won't have a nightstand any other way. You can even screw a reading light to the shelf, or put a clock on the shelf that's even with the bed. You and also put folded clothes on the shelves (especially ones that are covered by curtains), to free up some dresser/closet space.

I might be tempted to remove the shelves in the corner bookshelf so you could push the bunk beds flush to the wall and leave a bit more space between the beds & closets.

It seems like removing the stuffed animals from the other shelves would allow consolidation of everything else in the two remaining sections.

I once saw a hammock like net hung from the ceiling opin a corner to hold all stuffed animals which seemed like a cute idea. I have no idea where I saw it but it is a space saver.

Eta: obviously I didn't read all the posts because someone else posted a picture to the hammock idea..that is exactly what I was talking about.

I thought I would also add that the shelves don't look particularly messy to me. I think just moving the animals would make a big difference.

have you looked at rubbermaid configurations closet organizers? (amazon generally has good prices. the main diffrence between their "classic" and "deluxe" is the number of extra shelves) they hang from a main rail that is screwed into studs. I have them in two children's bedrooms. they are easy to move around so you can have the configuration you want. both hang and shelves.

you could even put some plastric drawers in the closet (along with an organization system) and possibly eat up all the clothes in the dresser so it can be moved out of the room.