Menu

Can you use lapbooks to keep Preschoolers busy?

stm4him

I am trying to think of how to keep my preschoolers busy next year and maybe even this summer and I'd like it to be related to our memory work. I know there is a ton of stuff on CC Connected but it seems like it would take a long time to print all that out and put it together. So my thought is that if I buy some lapbooks from A Journey Through Learning and/or Wisdom and Righteousness they can cut those up and glue them to notebooks or do whatever they want with them. They don't actually have to do them correctly. It is just meant to keep them busy. I'm trying to decide if this is a good idea or if it will be a disaster.....

I am not familiar with those particular sets, but most lapbooks are designed for the 7-9yo range. A lot of people do it with pre-schoolers, but at that age, they would not be independent activities. There's a lot of cutting, pasting and assembling that they need help with. With my kids, it wouldn't have mattered if I told them they could do them any way they wanted, because they would want to do them "right." They also wouldn't sit for this type of thing at that age. My almost 8yo is just getting to the point where she might like lapbooks now. But if it doesn't matter how they are done, and the kids don't care how they are done and don't want help, then I don't see why it would be a disaster.

I agree with the pps -- I used lapbooks briefly when my dds were 4 & 5, and they were not independent activities. My little ones even needed help with what I had thought would be easy cutting and pasting. They did better with the Kumon cutting / pasting books, but even those needed a bit of Mom intervention from time to time.

They're too young for lapbooks, but at that age I used a lot of file folder games. I'd do all the work, color them, laminate them, and add velcro to the backs if needed. We spent a lot of time in waiting rooms when my son was in therapy, so DD got plenty of use out of them.

They're too young for lapbooks, but at that age I used a lot of file folder games. I'd do all the work, color them, laminate them, and add velcro to the backs if needed. We spent a lot of time in waiting rooms when my son was in therapy, so DD got plenty of use out of them.

Yes, we used a lot of file folder games and activities, too. And now that my dd is almost 8yo, she makes her own, which I guess is kind of like a lapbook.