Menu

Transient burning smell in my house

Forget-Me-Not

I'm puzzled. We had a sudden burning smell in the main living area of our home and we couldn't find the source. The kids and I combed the house and came up with nothing. I thought it might have been our heater, but I experimented with switching it on and off before calling the HVAC guy and it didn't get worse. It's mostly disappated now. Any suggestions?

Refridgerator? Is that anywhere near the living room? We once called the fire department once for a burning smell that we could not figure out at all. Neither could they! After they left, we figured it out. It was a tiny part inside the fridge that had gone bad.

You could call the non-emergency number and ask them to help you. They have special cameras (?) that detect heat within the walls.

Good luck!

Nope, no propane, just natural gas and electricity :) The dust/bug on a lightbulb occurred to me too. It smelled like that type of burning. We didn't have a lot of lights on because it's bright and sunny here today, but it's a possibility. It seemed to be strongest near the computer desk and got better when I shut it all down though . . . I couldn't find anything hot though. I'll let DH examine it all tonight I guess.

possible wiring - either in the wall, or lamp? light bulb touching something? sometimes if the HVAC hasn't been used in awhile, dust in the duct-work can have that smell when the heat is turned on.

last week a stranger stopped by a friends house to tell them their attic was on fire. they didn't smell anything, even though he was almost immediately below the location of the fire ignition point. apparently, some blown-in insluation fell into a seldom used can light and caught fire when they turned it on.

they were incredibly lucky. the firemen were able to use a heat seeking tool to determine where the fire was, cut holes in the ceiling from inside (instead of through the roof), and use foam to exterminate, instead of water. the fire cheif told them they were 15 minutes from it exploding and losing their entire house. another way they were very blessed. if that had happened, the ceiling would have come down on top of our friend.

and since they were remodling their bedroom - all the furniture and clothing had been removed so it has no smoke damage.