Menu

DD hates Grammar; Loves YC's Grammar-Land Story!

Saddlemomma

Okay, I know most of you will think I'm crazy for spending $49.95 on the 225-book collection of Yesterday's Classics when you can get them free, but I did it so I would have the interactive Table of Contents and all the illustrations. It makes them so much easier to use and cuts down my time in hunting and pecking.

Anyway, I just did this two days ago and already see it paying for itself. Keep in mind my DD (grade 4) HATES grammar. So, DD and I were ready to start a new read-aloud book yesterday morning. I didn't tell her what I was going to read and just started reading Grammar-Land. When I started the first chapter, she gave me this incredulous look, but kept quiet. I ended up reading two chapters. She didn't say much except to ask if she had to do the assignment that the judge gave to Schoolroom-Shire. I told her no.

Today, DD was right in her seat ready, and seemingly eager, for read-aloud time. I proceeded to read Chapter 3 of Grammar-Land. When I finished, there was a short assignment based upon a 4-line poem (find the nouns and articles). Now DD is way beyond that exercise at this point, but I asked her if she would like to do it quickly. She jumped up; started looking over my shoulder at my Kindle Fire, and started picking out the articles and nouns they pointed to. When we finished that, I closed the Kindle. She looked at me and said, "Yesterday you read two chapters. That was only one. Aren't you going to read another?" I told her no because the next chapter was too long and we had to move on.

I could tell she was disappointed, so I asked her if she was enjoying the story. "I hate to admit it because Grammar is my nemesis, but, yeah, it's fun!

Next, I opened "Poems Every Child Should Know". I read several poems. Then I asked DD to read them, paying particular attention to where the commas and other punctuation fell so that she would read it correctly with rhythm. She then told me her favorites. I suggested we get her a little notebook so she could make a list of her favorites and she agreed. Score another one!!!! (She's never been crazy about Poetry either.)

Lastly, I on Wednesday, after receiving the Kindle files, I assigned a supplemental History reading passage out of "On the Shores of the Great Sea" for DD to read for homework. It was easy to find by perusing the TOC and tapping it. I was able to preview it, go back to the beginning of the chapter and leave it set there for DD. Thursday, I asked her to review her History reading. She did a nice job and told me she enjoyed reading the passage.

I am so glad I made this purchase. It's really going to cut down on my future book purchasing requirements. I now have everything at my fingertips to supplement our Middle Ages study next year. There are 18 books on the Middle Ages alone.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That's so great! It's such a great feeling to have a subject turn from a problem to a favorite.

You know, if your dd loves Grammar Land, she might be an MCTLA kind of girl. FLL was making us slowly die of boredom, besides that she had zero retention, but we did GL and then did Sentence Island, then the Town level of MCT, and it was a huge hit.

We actually purchased this set too. I thought and thought about it (since you can get most for free) but I am SO glad we did. I love the format and the selection of books will keep us busy for years! My dd7 is loving all of the science books right now:) Glad it was a good purchase for you too!

Okay, I know most of you will think I'm crazy for spending $49.95 on the 225-book collection of Yesterday's Classics when you can get them free, but I did it so I would have the interactive Table of Contents and all the illustrations. It makes them so much easier to use and cuts down my time in hunting and pecking.

HSers never think you are crazy for spending money on books! :lol: We have the set and love it too! I've yet to find a typo, which is more than I can say for the free books that have been scanned in!