Menu

Who can diagnose dysgraphia?

I admit I haven't gotten around to looking at the DSM criteria and I can't even find it right now - I wouldn't rely entirely on this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disorder_of_written_expression , though it lists a few possible tests. My understanding is that you'd need to see a psych to get an official diagnosis contained in the DSM (dysgraphia = "disorder of written expression").

For our psych, some combination of a low processing speed and possibly a certain score on tests from an OT may be involved, though that may depend on the particular situation. HTH

Diagnostic criteria for 315.2 Disorder of Written Expression

A. Writing skills, as measured by individually administered standardized tests (or functional assessments of writing skills), are substantially below those expected given the person's chronological age, measured intelligence, and age-appropriate education.

B. The disturbance in Criterion A significantly interferes with academic achievement or activities of daily living that require the composition of written texts (e.g., writing grammatically correct sentences and organized paragraphs).

C. If a sensory deficit is present, the difficulties in writing skills are in excess of those usually associated with it.

I went to a psych for diagnosis.

I started at OT, not for a diagnosis however. I was sure my son was dysgraphic, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything on the OT side of things. I'm glad we went that route for my peace of mind. The psych gave us a wonderful evaluation and information.