Menu

I have 2 turnips, what to do with them?

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

My fallback for things like kohlrabi, turnips, parsnips (esp. if I have an odd amount):thinly slice, saute in butter until softened, add some flour and cook for a minute or two (so that flour is no longer raw), add a splash of cream and heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.

My fallback for things like kohlrabi, turnips, parsnips (esp. if I have an odd amount):thinly slice, saute in butter until softened, add some flour and cook for a minute or two (so that flour is no longer raw), add a splash of cream and heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.

I think I will try this. Thanks.

B) Thanks ladies.

My answer will not be popular - throw those nasty things out! When the kids were little we read Down, Down the Mountain. The kids in the story grew turnips and took them to town to sell. To go with the story we bought turnips and boiled the heck out of them and mashed them. All the butter and salt in the world didn't make them edible. The girls still remember that......

Couple of unusual ideas, but my family likes them:

Turnip slaw: grate the turnip and toss with a vinegrette type dressing of your choice (I like a little tarrogon vinegar, evoo, salt and pepper)

Turnip Pickles: these are my favorite! I LOVE these. Slice turnips app. 1/4" thick, place into glass jar (any glass jar you have around will do), add cayenne pepper, T each salt (not iodized salt, it makes things turn brown in pickles), dill, mustard seed, fill jar halfway with vinegar of your choice (I like to use kombucha vinegar, but apple cider or plain white would work well) and finish filling with water. Let sit for a month in the fridge (alternately, add couple tablespoons whey and let sit on the counter for 3 days, then fridge). Soooooo good. Crunchy, spicy, sour. A couple of these next to your sandwich at lunch is tasty and healthy.

Turnips and carrots is one of our favorite recipes. We have it at all holiday meals. Just peel the turnips and carrots and cut them into big chunks. You want about twice as many carrots as turnips. Boil them all together in water on the stove until they are soft. Then mash them like potatoes with butter, salt, and pepper.