Menu

What is a really fun latin program?

thundersweet

My dd will be starting 2nd grade in Sept. I am not even sure I wlll start latin this year. She is advanced in the LA area so I might go ahead and start. I just received PL. I have to say, it looks pretty good to me, but I can see where dd might find it boring. It doesn't look like her style. She may do it with me learning with her. We'll see!

The other one I was interested in for 3rd was LFC. I viewed the dad teaching chapter 1 on the website. I can't imagine any child sitting through that first lesson. Honestly, it looks like it is more for an adult rather than a 3rd grader. Does anyone else find that to be the case? So many people love it. I just don't see it. Does your child find the part where dad is teaching to be interesting? I am referring to the dvd where the dad is standing in the office setting.

I really think I need a program with a dvd. What else is out there fun for the young latin student?

Thanks,

Sandy

We did PL this year, but yeah, we felt it was a little dry. I think it's an excellent foundation, and we made our own simple games using homemade flash cards. (This was second grade.) I was surprised how much dd retained.

I picked up the Minimus student text for next to nothing--how cute! It would be a good intro, but I think PL would be a nice complement to it (or vice versa). I've also heard good things about Song School Latin. I guess it depends how serious you want to be--exposure v. heavy content.

Well, given what you say about your dd, I would *wait*. Give her more time to thrive in her language arts studies in English, and start next year (or the next). It won't hurt her to wait, and may very well help.

I like Prima Latina a lot, but it's certainly not "fun". But if you do it together (which I highly, highly recommend), that alone could make it more fun...

But if you really want a more "fun" beginning program, I'd consider Song School Latin. Minimus is also a lot of fun, but I absolutely wouldn't start it with a 2nd grader who is still working to master basic English (reading, writing) skills. (It's one of those things that *can* be used with younger kids, but there's a lot of depth there to be gained by older kids, and a cursory reading of Minimus will miss so much...)

But don't feel like you "have" to start Latin now just because others are. I'm a firm proponent of ancient languages as vital to a classical education -- but you'll be more likely to continue with those if your first experiences are positive and successful.

I just picked up LFC for my 5th grade son. I have looked over the materials and I really like how it is set up. As far as the DVD goes, he seems to like it well enough and it will be a big help to me. I am going to do Galore Park's Latin Prep with my older ones, but I am told you can use it with youngers too.

I really think I need a program with a dvd. What else is out there fun for the young latin student?

I don't think a DVD is absolutely necessary, even if you don't have any prior experience with Latin. If you are willing to work alongside your child, obviously working ahead, then I think you will do fine.

Song School Latin is a good choice for building language awareness. It definitely doesn't teach any grammar. The focus is on vocabulary and developing an awareness of the Latin language, but it doesn't teach any grammar or syntax.

You should also check with the American Classical League, as they have very inexpensive materials for teaching younger children in their Teaching Materials and Resource Center. They also have activity packets through their standing committee, Excellence Through Classics for K-9.

Minimus is a great book. There's no DVD but there are audio CDs to accompany it, as well as a strong online support website and email lists. You could start this now or next year and then move on to the Cambridge books. Minimus is intended as an introduction to the Cambridge series.

Minimus is really fun, but the TM is really, really expensive.

Well, it was designed as a photocopiable master for a classroom teacher, so I think the higher price is intended to take into account that only one would be purchased and used over several years. Fewer copies would be printed and therefore, the publishing company would need to charge more in order to justify the expense. I do not think that the author set the price, but rather the publishing company.

That being said, I think that it has a very good resale value.