Menu

Educational TV, trading off shows

Guest Adam

Our girl took a liking to Blue's Clues at around 4 years of age. She has seen lots, if not all of the episodes available on Netflix. It was always a gentle show to have her watch, calm down, and learn something. Well, we have significantly cut down on her TV watching when not in school, and she is now the tender age of 6. The information taught in a standard episode of Blue's Clues is basically common sense to her now. She still wants to watch Blue's Clues but we're trying to steer her toward shows that have more appropriate levels of learning to her age. I'm curious if it's correct to steer her away - causing a fit - from the now bland, but calming Blue's Clues towards something that stimulates her mind more appropriately?

Thanks!

I don't know - I let Melissa watch anything at age level that we approved of or less. Watching a lower age group show can't hurt her. I kept introducing things to her at a more age appropriate level but never told her "Wonder Pets" or any of her other favorites were forbidden. She eventually gave them up. :)

My kid moved on from Blue's Clues to other "exploratory" shows, like Popular Mechanic for Kids and Bill Nye the Science Guy. There's other series like these in my Public Library, but ds wants to stick to these two.

I find PBS these days to be completely underwhelming.

My DD 4yo used to like Blues Clues, and will still watch occasionally because her almost 3yo brother likes it as well. But for the most part they now watch Magic School Bus, Word World, Wild Kratts, Salsa Spanish, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 6yo watching Blues Clues, but she may find that some other shows are interesting too, and that she might be able to learn from them as well.

If watching TV is meant to be part of her education, then sure, she needs to choose from your appropriate level selections. But if it's just down time for her to chill out, then let her stay with Blues Clues if that's what she likes. In any case, kids tend to learn things all the time, so you may well find that once all the basic learning from the show is old hat to her, she'll start to interpret it in new ways or on another level.