Menu

New cow....milking like crazy

fairfarmhand

Last weekend we went to a dairy and brought home a new Jersey cow. (Oh, goodness I just LOVE :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: this cow.) I'll be posting pictures in a bit. She's giving quite a bit of milk, or at least she is now that she's adjusted to our feed. So this week, I've made mozzarella 3 times, I am working on my third batch of butter (1 lb each time) I've done a gallon of yogurt. We've also been feeding my calf Valentine some milk. Goodness.....

I love the milking. I hate washing the dishes though. Really. Besides the 1 load of normal family dishes, I've been hand washing piles of milk jars, the pieces of my milker, the strainer, and the dishes that I use to make butter, yogurt, cheese, etc.....Mercy me. I am tired of dishes.

My oldest does the dishwasher dishes, but I have some very expensive hand wash stuff , and I'd hate for her to ruin it.

This is my mozzarella.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-mozzarella-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174355

Buttermilk, I just use what's left after making butter. Its cool because the real buttermilk has tiny flecks of butter in it. YUMMY for baking.

Cultured buttermilk is easy. Just add a splash of store buttermilk and let it sit out overnight.

I make my butter in my Kitchenaid stand mixer, It takes awhile because I fill it pretty full and I don't have a cover, but I just let it whip while I do other kitchen work.

If you had another dishwasher, do you think it would simplify clean up?

...asks the wannabe homesteader who is dreaming of a farm kitchen that is completely separate from the family kitchen...

Well, so many pieces CAN'T go in the dishwasher. At least in my dw, the tall milk jars often don't get completely clean. The milker parts can't go in there, and the milk pails are too big. However, the idea of having a separate dw for canning season is TOTALLY appealing. No more scrubbing quart and pint jars by hand!

When I was growing up ( many, many years ago) I lived on a dairy farm. My mother hand washed three portable milking machines twice each day.

Your mother is amazing!

We hand milk here. And the dishes NEVER seem to be all done. I've made a gallon of yogurt a day for the last 4 days! If you strain it long enough it comes out just like cream cheese! We will attempt a homemade cheese press tomorrow. At the moment we have 10ish gallons of milk. Gotta do something with all that tomorrow!!! I made mozz. last weekend. Didn't store it in any liquid and it turned hard and nasty. Does your recipe stay soft in the liquid? When we were in London I found the most wonderful tomato and mozz. sandwiches in the grocery store deli. I'm trying to replicate that kind of mozz.

Jealous!!! Your post reminded me of this...

The Cow by RLStevenson

The Cow

The friendly cow all red and white,

I love with all my heart:

She gives me cream with all her might,

To eat with apple-tart.

She wanders lowing here and there,

And yet she cannot stray,

All in the pleasant open air,

The pleasant light of day;

And blown by all the winds that pass

And wet with all the showers,

She walks among the meadow grass

And eats the meadow flowers.

Jealous!!! Your post reminded me of this...

The Cow by RLStevenson

The Cow

The friendly cow all red and white,

I love with all my heart:

She gives me cream with all her might,

To eat with apple-tart.

She wanders lowing here and there,

And yet she cannot stray,

All in the pleasant open air,

The pleasant light of day;

And blown by all the winds that pass

And wet with all the showers,