Menu

AP Biology, Going it alone possible?

I'm trying to understand the AP world and what it takes to 'go it alone'. Is it possible to study the material without an online school or other formal class scenario? Do you have to register prior to beginning your study or just register before taking the test? Do any of you have motivated kids that have tackled an AP course by just getting the text, studying the material, and taking the test? I'm particularly interested in AP Biology. Is it possible to study the text and handle the labs at home? Please share your insight and experiences with me. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom! You ladies are such a help and source of encouragement.

Did you look at http://www.collegeboards.com? It has lots of information. Yes, I have friends who just had their kids study the text and take the test. At the site they have sample labs that you can download for a small fee. They also have the specific contents of what will be on the test and what needs to be covered in labs. If you want to take the AP , you find out which schools in your area are giving them and then register.

Well, we did it successfully and it was our first AP course/test so it can be done! As advised, look at the College Board site for book suggestions and sign up for the teacher's list. IT was a wealth of info for labs. I would say that for us, using the Thinkwell lectures was a hue plus to prepping for the AP exam along with Campbell and lots of exam practice.

Mary

Last year my son took AP Biology through PA HS'ers and while he's a highly motivated kid I'm glad he had someone else to go to when he had questions since Biology is not my area of expertise. I also had many other things on my plate last year (my Dad died of cancer and I was one of his caregivers along with his estates co-executors) so it was nice that this was one less thing for me to think about.

Unlike MaryM I did not have the time to read through the teacher's list for information on the labs, or the time to make sure DS was doing lots of practice exams, or time to answer all his questions. If you have the time, and interest in the subject or someone your child can call on when they need assistance then I'd go it alone. This coming year my DS will take two AP courses through PA HS'ers and I'll take him through two; AP Calculus and AP Statistics.

You do need to register to take the test by contacting your local public or private school. I contacted a local private school, the homeschool friendly one, in mid-October and asked if my DS could take his AP exam at their school. Then in early April, per their request, I paid the school for the test. Hope that helps.

Carole

Yes, it is possible. I have two daughters who are now biology majors in college who studied for the AP biology exam entirely on their own and scored 5's. They are both very diligent and organized students and knew how to pace themselves; with less motivated students, it might be a stretch.

Our small local public school was willing to administer the exam, even though they didn't have any other students testing for AP Biology. I had to make the initial contact in the fall and follow through with making sure the test got ordered in January (?).

Tina in Ouray, CO

My daughter wants to know if you can give her an idea of how much daily study time she should expect for preparing for the AP Biology course. One site she saw said three hours daily....is that correct? BTW, she's an excellent student and has already had Apologia Biology and Chemistry. Thanks for your help.