Menu

Question for Little Britches experts!

We've never read Little Britches and another post has me enthusiastic about the book. One question: I know there's some mild cursing in it that I'll just read over -- since I'll be reading aloud -- but is there many animals that get hurt? I ask because I know it's about ranching.

Right or wrong, my boys are extremely sensitive about animals being in pain or killed and I've learned it's just best to not go there right now.

Thank you -- I'd love to hear any other "best of" titles.

Alley

Right or wrong, my boys are extremely sensitive about animals being in pain or killed and I've learned it's just best to not go there right now.

I'd wait if your children are sensative about animals because indeed there are some sad stories about their horses, cattle, etc.

My side of the family homesteaded in that region as ranchers, and it does accurately portray the sorrows and reality of ranch life during that period. It was a tough time, and the series shows you that. A blizzard could wipe out your entire herd, your best horse might fall and have to be put down, and the crops might mostly fail. That was the reality that they lived with.

Thank you all so much. This book sounds amazing. I hate to pass it by even for now. And thanks for the fyi that there's a unit on it too.

Btw, we LOVE the Little House series and have read it together twice -- so Little Britches will be huge when the boys are ready.

At, say, 35 or 40 yrs. of age.

Alley