Menu

How can a US high school student living abroad earn college credits?

I am trying to help a friend of mine as i have no idea what options are out there for high school students. Their family lives in South America and she has homeschooled all the way since K. She is interested in how her high school students could earn college credits such as AP, dual enrollment, etc. Is there any way to do this from a great distance?

Thanks for any advice and help!

Yep. AP exams are offered worldwide. Your friend might want to enter the country where she is living in the AP Course Ledger. That will let her locate possible testing sites. The course ledger lists teachers who have completed the AP audit, not necessarily schools where AP courses are taught or exams are administered. But it's great place to start, in order to determine if local testing is a possibility.

Our state allows a student to take in-state college courses for free during their junior and senior years of high school. Maybe that's the same as dual-enrollment that people talk about here? In any case, some of those colleges offer distant learning. A couple of my kids have done that.

Yep. AP exams are offered worldwide. Your friend might want to enter the country where she is living in the AP Course Ledger. That will let her locate possible testing sites. The course ledger lists teachers who have completed the AP audit, not necessarily schools where AP courses are taught or exams are administered. But it's great place to start, in order to determine if local testing is a possibility.

Thanks for this! I looked up the country and there is one school there that offers classes. I don't totally understand AP. Can you teach an AP level class at home and still take the test? Or must you attend an AP class at a brick&mortar school in order to be eligible to take the class?

http://www.cedarvill...Enrollment.aspx

http://letudualcredit.com/

Like I said, there are many others out there. I just know about these two because these are the two schools we are considering for our twins.

These look like great options for her! And I will keep them in mind to maybe use in a few years. Have your sons taken any dual enrollment classes with either school?

DD is a Distance Learning student in the Middle School of TTUISD. In their High School, I believe students can take "Dual Credit" courses, where they receive credit in TTUISD and also in TTU for the same course. TTUISD is in Texas, so the testing requirements in High School are rigorous, if it is one of the 4 courses subject to those tests. Final Examinations must be taken under the supervision of an "Approved Proctor" and must be passed. Here's a link and your friend can call their 800 number, free, on Skype, from outside the USA. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/k-12/

HTH and GL

Thanks for this! I looked up the country and there is one school there that offers classes. I don't totally understand AP. Can you teach an AP level class at home and still take the test? Or must you attend an AP class at a brick&mortar school in order to be eligible to take the class?

You do not have to take an AP class in order to take the exam. the student could take a course at home, or self study, and then take the test. At least that works here in the US. If test seating in our country is limited, your should check with the school.