Menu

Reporting in from the Smokies

Hey all! We made it to the Smokies. Our first day of travel from Dallas to Memphis was good, so we pushed on to Jackson where Romy immediately started vomiting. Nice. So I was up all night in a hotel with her, trying to be quiet enough for Bud to sleep so he could drive the next day.

We made it to our cabin in Gatlinburg the next afternoon, and Wow! We are in love. The cabin is up on a mountain in the woods, but five minutes away from the crazy-busy center of Gatlinburg. Luke saw a bear in the yard during the first 5 minutes we were here. No sightings since then, though.

The Smoky Mountain National Park is tremendous. We've been hiking several times, and it is just breathtaking. We plan on hiking just about every day we're here, whether a short morning hike or an all day outing.

We hit Dollywood, and my apologies to those of you (Oak Knoll Mom!) who I offended by calling it cheesy. There is none of Dolly's typical showiness there. Fun rides, very family friendly. We were very pleased.

We're loving the weather, which is hitting around 90 for a high. Our poor house-sitters are enjoying the 103 degree weather we left behind for them!

I hope all is well with you guys. Off to catch up a bit.

Hey all! We made it to the Smokies. Our first day of travel from Dallas to Memphis was good, so we pushed on to Jackson where Romy immediately started vomiting. Nice. So I was up all night in a hotel with her, trying to be quiet enough for Bud to sleep so he could drive the next day.

We made it to our cabin in Gatlinburg the next afternoon, and Wow! We are in love. The cabin is up on a mountain in the woods, but five minutes away from the crazy-busy center of Gatlinburg. Luke saw a bear in the yard during the first 5 minutes we were here. No sightings since then, though.

The Smoky Mountain National Park is tremendous. We've been hiking several times, and it is just breathtaking. We plan on hiking just about every day we're here, whether a short morning hike or an all day outing.

We hit Dollywood, and my apologies to those of you (Oak Knoll Mom!) who I offended by calling it cheesy. There is none of Dolly's typical showiness there. Fun rides, very family friendly. We were very pleased.

We're loving the weather, which is hitting around 90 for a high. Our poor house-sitters are enjoying the 103 degree weather we left behind for them!

I hope all is well with you guys. Off to catch up a bit.

So glad trip is going well, except for Romy, poor thing. Any pics, would love to see TN,

Jet

Wait a minute. Weren't we supposed to meet at IHOP?

I know! With Luke at the ER the night before we left, we didn't get out of town till much later than we'd hoped. Then we added a vomiting one-year old to the mix, and it just seemed wrong to involve anyone else in our drama!

We're heading back that way on the 15th, so let's plan for that, if you're available. I imagine we'll be there late afternoon, but I'll PM you a couple of days beforehand.

Ahem, what about me? ;)

Hey! Aren't you in Chattanooga? That's not exactly close or on the way. And fifteen hours in the car with the kids is...enough. :glare:

But hey, I'd be up for meet-up around here anytime in the next few weeks. Want to go hiking? We'd love to meet you (anyone who loves Legos is a friend of ours). Maybe a TWTM hiking day in the Smokies in early August?

We moved from 8 wooded acres on the side of a mountain with wonderful creeks running down the mountain, a pond, etc. I can't tell you how much I miss TN!! We have moved a lot over the yrs and this is the first time I have ever been really, really homesick for our last home. (BTW.....our options when we were moving back to the US after being ex-pats were TN and TX.....TX didn't stand a chance. :) )

We had season passes to Dollywood last yr and the kids absolutely loved it. I can't even tell you how many times we went.

Enjoy!!

Hey! Aren't you in Chattanooga? That's not exactly close or on the way. And fifteen hours in the car with the kids is...enough. :glare:

But hey, I'd be up for meet-up around here anytime in the next few weeks. Want to go hiking? We'd love to meet you (anyone who loves Legos is a friend of ours). Maybe a TWTM hiking day in the Smokies in early August?

Nope, I am in Oak Ridge. We have a little bug right now but would love to hike. My guys really enjoy that. And we haven't been in that direction for a long time. My little one is asking when we are going to Ripley's Aquarium again. He loves it. Plus, they give a nice discount for Home Schoolers if you have a card as a proof. Very nice.

I hope wee Romy (or, not-so-wee, as she seems determined to grow-and-grow-and-grow, hmpf) is feeling much better very soon. I missed any and everything leading up to this, so I'll add now that I hope Luke is doing okay (what happened?) and that you guys have a fantastic trip!!

I've been talking to Charles about going that way around Christmas. Dollywood is one of the places on our Must-Do list, and I'm really hoping we can hit there this year or next.

Enjoy the hiking and the fun! Drive safely! No more vomit!!

Dy

I hope wee Romy (or, not-so-wee, as she seems determined to grow-and-grow-and-grow, hmpf) is feeling much better very soon. I missed any and everything leading up to this, so I'll add now that I hope Luke is doing okay (what happened?) and that you guys have a fantastic trip!!

I've been talking to Charles about going that way around Christmas. Dollywood is one of the places on our Must-Do list, and I'm really hoping we can hit there this year or next.

Enjoy the hiking and the fun! Drive safely! No more vomit!!

Dy

Well, Luke and his best friend decided it would be fun to ram into eachother while on their ripsticks (kind of like snowboards with wheels). Fortunately, his wrist was sprained and not broken. He wore a sling for the comfort of it for about three days, but he's all better now.

I'm guessing this place is very fun at Christmas. My only recommendation is to stay someplace where you can easily get to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge without having to drive through them to go other places. The traffic in the towns is CRAZY! Our cabin is great, but we have to drive through G'burg to get to the National Park, where we go every day. It's a mile or two away, but it takes a while to get there.

Thanks for the well wishes. I was looking at the map wondering if we could swing through Alabama, since both of our clans have grown since we met, but it was a bit out of the way!

Nope, I am in Oak Ridge. We have a little bug right now but would love to hike. My guys really enjoy that. And we haven't been in that direction for a long time. My little one is asking when we are going to Ripley's Aquarium again. He loves it. Plus, they give a nice discount for Home Schoolers if you have a card as a proof. Very nice.

Let me know when you are all feeling better, and we'd love to meet up. Our schedule is open. We'd like to go to the aquarium, too.

Well, Luke and his best friend decided it would be fun to ram into eachother while on their ripsticks (kind of like snowboards with wheels). Fortunately, his wrist was sprained and not broken. He wore a sling for the comfort of it for about three days, but he's all better now.

I'm guessing this place is very fun at Christmas. My only recommendation is to stay someplace where you can easily get to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge without having to drive through them to go other places. The traffic in the towns is CRAZY! Our cabin is great, but we have to drive through G'burg to get to the National Park, where we go every day. It's a mile or two away, but it takes a while to get there.

Thanks for the well wishes. I was looking at the map wondering if we could swing through Alabama, since both of our clans have grown since we met, but it was a bit out of the way!

I'm glad he's okay, but that's just not the way to start a vacation, is it? Yeesh.

Hey, if you're up for a visit on your way back through, just LMK. We're only two hours from Nashville - it's an easy day trip for us, and the kids love the chance to go to there. Centennial Park is open and airy - and you'd get to see the Parthenon! :tongue_smilie: If you're not, though, and you just want to get HOME, I understand that, too. Just wave southward when you go through!