Menu

Favorite Math Card Games 1st-3rd grade

lovinmomma

My third grader loved Math War Multiplication card game. I picked up on a kind of whim on Amazon, and it's proven very popular with him and his second grader brother. I let the second grader use the "cheat sheet" card--which has helped him to learn some of his times tables. Somehow, when i play, I seem to lose!

We also use various card games from Right Start.

Although not a card game, Sum Swamp is a great math game for addition, as well as learning odds/evens. Even my older kids like to play it with their little sister.

Rat-a-Tat-Cat

We also play lots of card games with a regular deck of cards (from the Singapore 1A HIG). I modified a regular deck of cards by turning an ace into a 1 (modge podged a "1" onto it) and a jack into a zero (again, modge podge over jack, put on a "0"), so that I had 4 sets of 0-10. War, Go fish, making 10s, etc.

Rack-O, Speed, and the Right Start card games. Go to youtube and type in alabacusmathfun and you'll see about 11 of the RS games demonstrated.

Other card games we love, not sure if you'll consider them math games...but they do have numbers on the cards, are Skip-Bo and Phase 10. A fun dice game is Yahtzee.

We love RS games. Particularly go to the dump, addition and subtraction war, corners, money war. My kids also love the game of chips, though not a card game.

We love RS games too, all the ones mentioned are favorites in my house as well. My kids particularly like swim to 10. Such a basic game, but I think they like it b/c we use coins instead of tokens :laugh: