Menu

What after WWS

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already. My DD will be in 8th next year. What writing to use after WWS? Would LTOW be too much, should I save that for high school? Or can we do that now? I saw mentioned somewhere how LTOW has grammar included, so another grammar program wouldn't be needed?

We are beta testing WWS2, and I am currently re-reading LToW again for the purpose of comparing it to WWS2. My first impression, is that WWS2 is more difficult because it expects more details and references/footnotes, but that LToW covers more material at more of a surface level. But I can tell you more in a couple of weeks.

Ruth in NZ

I don't know your daughter's particular educational needs, but my friend and I have used LTOW with reluctant 6th grade boys. It only teaches the persuasive essay. It is very incremental. To fully implement it you must have the DVDs or CDs. I was totally lost before I carefully studied the material presented in the CD. I think there is some "unusual" Christian content (something about grammar and God) in the first introductory CD of the series (in my old edition anyway), but the rest of the CDs are totally focused on writing.

My friend and I looked at The Power in Your Hands: Writing Nonfiction in High School by Sharon Watson. It is excellent for teaching many forms of writing but several of the examples include what I consider "questionable" content like prostitution as "a profession," etc. The author is a Christian and uses a young earth/anti-evolution approach in the science writing section. So we can't use all of that one, just selected excerpts, however actual writing instruction is really strong and written directly to the student. (Why oh why can't writers just choose less controversial topics for teaching the structure of persuasive essays...why?)

So... next on our list to look at is Write Shop 1 & 2. Rainbow Resources says there are a few Bible verses in the Teacher's Edition. That doesn't bother me. But I haven't received it yet, so I can't give more info.

Maybe SWB will hurry up and get WWS II out early and save us all from this search!

Darn! I was hoping this was about what to use after WWS2. I am already worried about next year.

I think if you've finished WWS2 (beta testing) then you could move on to high school level material where they are using the WWS skills and address specific issues in writing as they arise in their work.

Some of the popular literature programs on the high school board are The Elegant Essay, Windows to the World and Excellence in Literature.

We've been using Windows to the World and it does a nice job of teaching the student to write literary analysis paragraphs and essays based on short stories. There is a syllabus from IEW by Jill Pike that adds a couple novels and Hamlet to the schedule.

Excellence in Literature has five levels. You can pick and choose works from the different levels (ie, they are grouped more thematically than by grade level), but there is one book that is an Intro to Literature theme with more short stories than novels.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already. My DD will be in 8th next year. What writing to use after WWS? Would LTOW be too much, should I save that for high school? Or can we do that now? I saw mentioned somewhere how LTOW has grammar included, so another grammar program wouldn't be needed?

You can do WWS1 at double pace, go right on into WWS2, and I assume SWB will keep going into WWS3 as a beta this fall. You're not going to run out of material. If you do, well there's the Creative Writer series, lol. The description suggests an older student could skip CW1, which is what I decided to do. So we're doing WWS1 at a brisk pace for 8th, and we'll do CW2 and 3 and go into WWS2.

WWS is amazing. There's really no reason to jump ship and look at something else.