Menu

Fun Free/Cheap things to do in Austin?

TCB

We have the opportunity to spend a few days in Austin, Tx at the end of February. I would appreciate any ideas for fun, not too expensive things to do. My dds are 12 and 9. Also, is there a homeschooling store there, or a good used book store?

Thanks, I appreciate any information you can give me.

Trenna

Half Price is the mega-used book store. The main store is the one on North Lamar.

Excellent suggestions so far. The freefuninaustin.com website has local cheap or free family events.

If you go to Mt. Bonnell (note: actually a hill with steps going up it), pay a visit to nearby Mayfield Park and see the peacocks, and/or the Laguna Gloria grounds.

Zilker is indeed awesome, with a huge playscape, fun botanical gardens (including a prehistoric section), the Nature Science Center, and canoe rental, all right there. Pay to park on weekends, but very cheap.

Also free is the Texas Memorial Museum on the UT campus, full of natural science wonders and heaps of fossils, including the Shoal Creek Plesiosaur (found by a young boy fossil-hunting with his dad). Parking is easy and free on weekends, but impossible during the week.

If your crew likes hiking, see the Greenbelt.

LOL over here. Mt. Bonnell may be "a hill with steps going up it"; however, that never was how I experienced it. I always went to the "wrong side", the steep side -- (undoubtedly laying myself open for a fine of some sort) -- and scrambled down it on feet/hands/knees (as needed), then climbed back up the same way. We LOVED doing this to blow off steam!

If you go to Mt. Bonnell (note: actually a hill with steps going up it),