Menu

English from the Roots Up, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, or Caesar's English?

We're enjoying Ceasar's English. We're taking our time reading it together a couple times a week and dd11 likes it. Caesar's English is rich with examples from literature to help us understand the meaning of the words better. We're also using a game called Rummy Roots to become familiar with roots. I like to mix this in with grammar and spelling throughout the week.

We just finished CE 1 and are starting CE2. We love it! It's fun to read, the examples from literature are great, the words are fabulous and the activities are just right. We do it orally, one lesson per week. Retention has been really fantastic. Love it! (I haven't used any of the others you mentioned).

Only familiar with English from the Roots Up. When it became clear that Latin was just not going to happen here, we switched to becoming familiar with some Latin and Greek roots through EftRU to assist with vocabulary.

We used just the book (not the flashcards), and did it as a sort of game. We'd cover up the definition and list the words using that root, and try to come up with words we thought had that root in it. From that, we would try to guess what the root meant. Example: "photo" -- we came up with telephoto, photograph, photosynthesis, etc. -- "Oh look, those words have to do with cameras, lens, or light. Cameras need light; maybe it means light?"

Then we would read the definition, the list of words in the book using that root, and the explanation about the root. If we came up with words not in the book's list, we'd look them up in the dictionary; if they did come from that root, then we'd add them to the list on the index cards we made to go along with each root.

For extension activities: check out:

- this past thread for more ideas on how to use or schedule EftRU

- in that thread, rcom's posts Cynce's Place blog with downloadable freebies (schedule, notebooking pages, flashcards for EftRU)

- the Shelby Family Academy has word search puzzles of the roots for fun review at a new website: TTKreations

EftRU was enjoyable, interactive, and really did help DSs learn roots that helped them later on in high school for deciphering vocabulary. BEST of luck in finding what is the best fit for YOUR family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My first thought is that you're looking at three programs that employ learning styles that are vastly different from one another. Knowing what approach you want to take will probably make your decision easy.

Lori D. just gave you a fabulous summary of a great way to use English from the Roots Up.

Vocabulary from Classical Roots is a workbook, could be used independently if you want that. We tried it and found the layout disorganized and not enough practice, hence poor retention as another poster mentioned. I've looked at lots of word roots workbooks, and I'm still looking for something better because my DS is wanting more things he can do on his own (he gets impatient sometimes, LOL).

Caesar's English, as other posters said, is best used as a teacher-intensive, snuggle on the couch and discuss type of curriculum.