Menu

Is anyone using Science Fusion?

I signed up to look through the virtual tour of the Science Fusion books. They look so bright, colorful, engaging, and very interactive!! Does anyone use this for their middle school child that could give their input. I'm thinking about it for dd next school year for 8th grade. Physical Science modules are the ones we would use.

Thanks!

It does look good!

I hate to bring up hearsay, but a good friend of mine has been having a lot of technical problems with it. It only runs on some browsers and she said it was difficult to find the answers for the questions to make life easy in checking her child's work. She likes the meat of the product if it were easier to use. She's been working with the SF tech person so I hope these issues are resolved. In the meantime, it's been quite frustrating for a product that was supposed to be wonderful and easy to implement (and not cheap!)

I just wanted to mention this. I'm glad Plum hasn't had any trouble and hope others haven't as well.

I am! I like it. I'll use it next year unless I find something else I think he'll like better. I use it as open and go. The only thing I have to schedule is the quizzes and tests. There were a bunch if threads with reviews about when it went in sale through HSBC last year. You might want to do a search.

I'll do that search....Thanks!

It does look good!

I hate to bring up hearsay, but a good friend of mine has been having a lot of technical problems with it. It only runs on some browsers and she said it was difficult to find the answers for the questions to make life easy in checking her child's work. She likes the meat of the product if it were easier to use. She's been working with the SF tech person so I hope these issues are resolved. In the meantime, it's been quite frustrating for a product that was supposed to be wonderful and easy to implement (and not cheap!)

I just wanted to mention this. I'm glad Plum hasn't had any trouble and hope others haven't as well.

Yikes! That is not very hopeful.....I wonder if many others have tech problems?

Thank you for replying!

• 2 weeks later...

We are using it here as well. Earth Science at the moment. It seems to be getting things done and I believe my son (ds12) is learning quite a bit. I have had no issues using it on my main machine (Internet Explorer or Firefox). There is an issue with my laptop (also Explorer) whereby I can't zoom in on pages). We essentially don't use the whole "assigning" process. I tell him to either do the online lesson/lab/text and once we finish all 3, he does the test. I like it but I'm not really a hands-on science person..although they do have suggested lab activities and we have done a few.

I am using it with my younger children this year, a year ahead, so using grades 3 and 5. We will be moving to PLATO for life science next year with the younger using Aha! Science instead. I veered from this path this year with SF. I need to learn to stick with what works versus the new shiny thing with all the bells and whistles.