Menu

Does the one-year rule apply

Kathleen in LV

to thank you notes for wedding gifts?

As we're getting older, we don't go to as many weddings, and etiquitte seems to change so quickly these days. (Usually not for the better.)

Anyway, we attended a wedding last May. We sent a gift off the online registry shortly before the wedding so it would be sure to arrive before they left for the honeymoon. And then, no thank you in June, July, August. Asked another family member if they received one . . . . nope. I confirmed online that the gift was delivered, so I figured I wouldn't worry about it.

Then last week . . . . thank you note received. Only nine months later.

What's up with that?

We also attended an August wedding. We didn't take the gift to the wedding, but delivered it personally to the bride a couple weeks later. Still haven't seen a thank you note for that one.

I don't pretend to know all the rules about weddings or gifts but I would expect a thank you note within a couple of months at least. But hey, you did get one and I think that's great. Honestly, I would have dropped the idea if I had waited that long. I would find it embarrassing to remind people that my notes are so late. Who knows, she might have made them all out but they got put away somewhere and forgotten until just now.

I believe the rule is that the wedding thank-you notes should be mailed before the invitations to the baby shower. If it isn't, it should be.

Seriously, though, if they received tons of gifts, and many couples do, and they are both working or in school, I could see not being able to crank out more than 7 or 8 a week, and that is if they stayed on top of it. Tracking down addresses in this day and age is not easy and certainly adds to the time it takes to process a thank-you note, especially for a new couple who do not yet have their own Christmas card lists and the like.

Terri