Menu

Question about the terms multiplier and multiplicand in R&S math

Love Home

I’m wondering if it’s worth teaching the terms multiplier and multiplicand. In R&S math 4x9 would be 4(multiplier) and 9(multiplicand) when written horizontally but when written vertically they write 9 (the multiplicand) on the top and 4 (multiplier) on the bottom. They would read the vertical number sentence as “4 times 9†instead of “9 times 4†- even though the 9 is on the top. I think this would confuse my dd as to which one would be the multiplicand and which one would be the multiplier in a vertically written multiplication sentence. I know that some other programs read these vertical sentences from top to bottom which adds to the confusion. Maybe I should just stick to factor x factor?

I wondered about this. I had read a few different articles by math professors who simply state this question of yours to be of English and not math since the product will be the same whether you say multiplier first or multiplicand. I got the impression that for mathematicians this matter of semantics is so trivial that we should not waste our time either.

Since multiplication is commutative, it makes no sense to me to introduce two different terms for the factors: there is nothing inherently different about them; one becomes the other as soon as you switch the problem around.

I see no need to artificially introduce a difference where, mathematically, there is none. It is far more important that the student understands the commutative nature of multiplication.