Menu

What are your consequences for dc NOT doing something that you have set up a time

Gamom3

They have to correct all tests with a score of less than 80 so that they learn from their mistakes. As far as not getting the work done when it is due, they lose all privileges until it is done right. I also move their bed time up an hour and tell them that perhaps if they are more rested, they will be able to concentrate on their work.

I suppose it would depend on why they aren't done. If they aren't done because they weren't sure how to do something, I would probably extend the deadline and assign them to use a specific amount of their daily free time to complete the assignment. If it isn't done because they just didn't want to do it or feel like doing it, then they would be required to spend all of their free time on the assignment until it is complete.

We're not big on testing. Anytime we reach the end of a section and I don't feel like it's been mastered, I either chose to repeat the section or I set aside a bit of time each day to reinforce the section while we move on.

When it comes to daily work-if it's not done in a reasonable time manner (due to his dawdling)- my ds (11) has to put it away so we can move onto the next thing and it is saved for "homework hour". "Homework hour" is conveniently set at the time of day when his bf (next door neighbor) gets home from school and comes out to play! (Mean Mommy, I know!)

As for failing a test---this happened recently---and since it had more to do with attitude and not taking time to study for the test (versus not understanding/knowing material) he was required to show the tests to his Dad. Dad then promptly grounded him and he wasn't allowed to spend the night at a friends house- which was already planned.

Those are a few things that are effective in my house!

"Homework hour" is conveniently set at the time of day when his bf (next door neighbor) gets home from school and comes out to play! (Mean Mommy, I know!)

I love this idea! I think I will add this to my list of "goodies" that I keep.

As for my own girls, when they dawdle and don't do, they get a mark on the board, so many marks earns you an extra chore. They also loose tv priviliges for the day if they fail to get something done when they have been reminded to do it. My kids get very limited tv during the week, so they consider tv time pretty precious.

Yes, I agree. I don't really ground a child that young, since it's just as important that they run and play and get exercise, socialize with their friends, etc. I was thinking of an early adolescent or teen for the sort of treatment I mentioned before. I think assigning more work in the subject that produces dawdling is a great measure for younger children,

Regena

If it's due to dawdling and it's a younger child, I assign extra work, usually in the least-favorite-subject category.

I agree with this wholeheartedly for younger children. For my just turned 8yo dd---having to do an extra sheet in Math is absolute torture (she dislikes math very much) so it's just the ticket to keep her moving!

For older children (my oldest is only 10, so take this with a grain of salt), I would say the same principle would apply--whatever your child values, whether it's their free time, or hanging out with friends, or talking on the phone--GONE. At least until the project/paper is done, or until they study for and pass a test that they failed. ;)