Menu

Spelling Workout Alternatives?

Noticed in the thread about curriculums that people have hated/regretted buying, that Spelling Workout was mentioned many times. SWB rec's this for spelling in WTM, so we were just planning on using that next year for 1st grade. But now I wonder if I should research this a little further.

For those of you that disliked SWO, what are the alternatives I should look at?

We defected from Spelling Workout and tried to just do homemade spelling lists - from mistakes in writing - but it didn't seem to be having any impact on improving her spelling when writing. I kinda dropped it for awhile, then discovered Logic of English. And it is working!! We're doing a list each week, just spelling - studying a phonogram, the spelling rules, then a spelling list - using LOE's Advanced Word Lists. It's going great! She's actually learning to spell. I attribute the success to the spelling dictation method, which gives a student a chance to think through, internalize, and practice spelling rules, rather than just memorize a list, regurgitate it for a test, and forget it. You can watch Denise demonstrate the spelling dictation method on the Logic of English website.

Seriously, even just doing spelling dictation method with Spelling Workout lists would be an improvement over doing it as written. But we're very happy with LOE.

We use, enjoy, and respect All About Spelling. However, if we wanted or needed more of a workbook approach, I think we'd go with Rod & Staff Spelling by Sound & Structure.

I have tutored (4th & up) with Spelling Power. My thoughts? If you are going with a teacher-directed method anyway, why not just go with AAS (and have a better program)? If you want a workbook, then Sound & Structure is the best I've seen. I don't want to put down Spelling Power, though, because it has some good points. IMO, it would be especially easy to use with motivated older students and/or good spellers, because they won't "waste" time on words they already know.

But for beginning spelling, I think AAS or S&S are good choices. HTH.

Is there somewhere online to see samples of R&S? We've been using AAS 1 this year and my daughter hates it.

Lana

rodandstaffbooks.com (this is not the publisher)

The grade 2 book is kind of random because they expect you're still doing phonics separately, but grade 3 gets into phonics, and grade 4 is heavy on rules and phonics (like when to use "tch" for /ch/).

We did 2 years of SWO and it was a dreadful fit. We switched to AAS towards the end of 2nd grade. My son is a self-taught reader, so he never got phonics. This made spelling really really difficult. We've moved through AAS very slowly as a result. He's absolutely not a natural speller :) AAS has been a great fit for us. The rules have helped a ton & it's filled in missing gaps that he didn't get with phonics. I'm very pleased with AAS.

Personally, I think everyone should learn about the concept of "explicit phonics" instruction before buying a spelling program. It is not for everyone, but it is an option that everyone should know about, because some kids just need it. There are a number of programs to pick from. I use Spell to Write and Read, which is a spin-off of Spalding.