Menu

Ipad/ smartphone ?

bnbacademy

Please forgive me if this is an unwarranted concern. Has anyone bought an Ipad or wi-fi gadget and have the wi-fi modem at home not be compatible with it?

Back story: I bought a Motorola wi-fi/cable modem last year, ds bought the 2013 Madden wii game, and we discovered that the Wii console cannot read the router's security key. It identifies that it is there, but will not let us key in the password or code. After hours of research, it turns out that the Wii is not compatible with the security key WAP, or some such thing.

Well, I'm considering an Ipad, smartphone, etc. but would rather not have the same problem with device compatibility. Is the Ipad compatible with all wi-fi modems in your experience? Or did anyone bring home a shiny new toy, only to have to relinquish it later, due to inability to connect to wi-fi?

TIA,

I haven't had this problem. I've been able to get on anyone's wireless that was willing to give me the password or was unprotected. This would include home, IL, parents, Starbucks, 2 churches, hotels. I've also used my cell phone as a hot spot and had no issues (well other than slowness).

ETA: Since the other one added it - I have a kindle and an iPad. DH has a Kindle Fire and hasn't had issues.

Your router should have a way for you to use a different security instead of WAP. For my Wii I had to manually enter ever thing manually for it to connect.

I tried to list other security keys, tried all 3 options, actually, but the Wii defaulted to WAP, would give an error message, which I learned meant that it is not configured to read WAP. Love it that a 3 yr old Wii cannot read a 1 year old Wi-fi modem. Gotta love that kind of software! If you would care to describe how to get past the error message, I might be willing to try again. We keyed in our security code,etc under all the options, even manually, without success. It would be nice to get Netflix streaming, but with the Wii not reading the modem, that is not possible.

From the responses, it looks like the Ipad would work with our wi-fi modem. Thank you, that is what I was hoping for.