Menu

Lunch Boxes for the backpack?

Miss Marple

My son called last night wondering about getting a "lunch box" that would fit into his backpack. He wants to take snacks with him to class. He lives off campus and tends to stay there all day once he gets there. He is very underweight and wants to try to add some pounds. He wants to take yogurt (and maybe some other refrigerated items) with him for snacking while studying.

Any ideas of something that is small and flexible? Also any ideas for other snacks for those trying to gain weight? I told him nuts and dried fruits...he already mentioned granola...

He's my foodie - loves good quality food. He isn't too interested in candy or chips.

We found this slim lunchbox fits well in a backpack because it is shaped sort of like a book. http://www.ebags.com...m=slim lunchbox

Similarly, our DSs use something along thise lines: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Artic-Lunch-Cooler-Green/dp/B0056B1O3U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_28.

And if you don't zip the 3rd side all the way, you can squish the bag down and get the extra air out so it compacts even more.

Snacks:

Cheese sticks

Cheese lumps (if you want a different sort of cheese)

Milk (chocolate if you are my son grin)

Peanut butter crackers

Carrot sticks (or crackers or pretzles) and hummus to dip in

Hard boiled eggs

Crackers and cheese

Goldfish

Granola bars (can put peanut butter on them)

Apples and peanutbutter

Celery sticks with peanutbutter and raisins (ants on a log)

Rice balls

Yoghurt covered raisins

Gorp

Peanut m+m's

Fish sticks

Chicken fingers (or drumsticks)

Popcorn

Nuts

Fruit

Dried fruit

Smoothies

Edemame (sp?)

Annie's mac and cheese (with or without frozen peas added)

Pizza

Yoghurt

Icecream (but you can't bring that to school lol)

HTH

Nan

You can sneak a lot in a smoothie including raw oats and an entire avocado. That is how we kept weight on my skinny kid when he was losing too much. If he likes to cook, my kids love fresh Thai Rolls and Nori Rolls. Both can be wrapped in plastic and kept in the fridge for a few days. They are horribly expensive if you eat out. But, cheap to make at home. We make a peanut sauce to dip the fresh rolls in and they are yummy. Pad Thai is awesome cold and has a peanut butter based sauce. I make my own sauce. You can add extra peanuts and shrimp or chicken to bulk it up. My sauce is just peanut or almond butter, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and siricha to your taste.

You can sneak a lot in a smoothie including raw oats and an entire avocado. That is how we kept weight on my skinny kid when he was losing too much. If he likes to cook, my kids love fresh Thai Rolls and Nori Rolls. Both can be wrapped in plastic and kept in the fridge for a few days. They are horribly expensive if you eat out. But, cheap to make at home. We make a peanut sauce to dip the fresh rolls in and they are yummy. Pad Thai is awesome cold and has a peanut butter based sauce. I make my own sauce. You can add extra peanuts and shrimp or chicken to bulk it up. My sauce is just peanut or almond butter, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and siricha to your taste.

He does love to cook. He even has an apartment with a great kitchen. Unfortunately he has a roommate who eats all his groceries :glare: When he eats out, he eats Pad Thai. There is an excellent restaurant near his apartment. I'll see about getting recipes for those you mention. He loves to make Asian food. Thanks for the ideas.

Google "Bento lunches" & you'll come up with a lot of ideas. If he packs his food a-la-Bento, he'll fit a lot of food in little space. Here in NZ most people take lunches from home as there is no real school lunch program & buying lunch from the Tuck Shop is expensive & mostly junk food. Both my boys have plastic boxes (1-2 litre in size)that they use for lunches. Ds#1 has a microwave available in the staff lunch room, so he takes left-overs most days. Ds#2 doesn't even have tables available & they eat outside, no matter the weather, so he likes grab & go lunches. When it is really hot I freeze yogurt, UHT milks or juices, etc. to act as ice blocks.

Ds#1 uses a 1 litre microwave box by Decor. Ds#2 uses a 2 litre box by Sistema. I like the Lock & Lock box that has removable dividers. I use the 1 litre size & got ds#2 the 2.6 litre size, but he looked at it in horror & told me it was too BIG for his backpack! LOL