Menu

Dr. Hive do I need to see the doctor?

Quiver0f10

I got the flu a bit more than 3 weeks ago. I was pretty sick for about the first week and a half to two weeks, but started a cough probably around week 1. At first it was a dry cough but it became wet and productive. I feel great now but I am still coughing a lot. I don't think I am wheezing but it hurts when I breathe in and my back hurts below my right shoulder blade. I don't have a fever. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday for something else. Can I just wait until then or do I need to go to the doctor before then?

I think I read that the cough associated with the flu can last 2 weeks normally. Three weeks sounds like it should be ending very soon or it's already developed into a bacterial infection. I think it's fine to wait a day or two more if there is no fever or worsening of symptoms- but I'm not a doctor, of course. I hope you get well soon!

If you don't have a fever, it's probably ok to wait, but I'd bet money it's pneumonia. My kids are somehow susceptible to it, and they get the same pain, not really even trouble breathing, but the pain is a dead giveaway. Make sure you really DO go on Wednesday and let them listen to your lungs, please! My oldest landed in the hospital for nearly a week from it this summer. Normally some antibiotics and a follow up X-ray are all that are needed, but his was actually really bad by the time we got him in, and he was hospitalized, which is no fun for anyone.

I hope I'm wrong though, and it's nothing but sore coughing muscles.

My cough lasted 4 weeks after I came down with the flu this year. I went to the dr and they did give me a prescription for an inhaler but it did not help at all and was not worth the $50 I spent on it. As long as your lungs are clear there's not much they can do. My lungs were clear but I was still coughing up mucus. It took quite a bit of coughing to get up a tiny bit of mucus. I got terrible pain in my sides when coughing because I am pregnant. Worst pain ever. Hope you are better soon