Menu

please pray, things are bad

ktgrok

I suppose I should have let him leave. I will in the future.

But then you run the risk of someone calling the police on him and opening that whole can of worms.

We went through a really rough patch with GW. He wouldn't aggress often, but the times he did were very scary. Finally, he did it at his ABA program one day and injured another student. Although his BCBA knew about the aggression at home, I don't think she realized how sudden and violent it was. As a result of that incident, GW spent 8 months in a severe behavior unit at school, working on a calm down sequence, identifying frustration in himself before he lost it, communicating his frustration so he could take a break and respecting other people and their property. I have to say that it made a world of difference for him. He's so much mellower now than ever before and hasn't attacked any of us or broken anything in anger in over a year. We can do many more things in public because we don't have to worry about sudden aggression around other people.

If you can access therapy to help your ds deal with frustration without becoming violent, I'd highly recommend it.

In the meantime, I'd try to think out responses to potential crises in advance and teach your other kids what to do. Geezle and Trinqueta knew to lock themselves in my bedroom until I came to get them. That made dealing with GW easier because I didn't have to worry about the other two.

I suppose I should have let him leave. I will in the future.

I have a friend who has an older Ds with Asperger and once he threatened to leave, in the winter, and she said, OK, put him in the car and drove him to the Hospital psych ward because he was a danger to himself. (they lived right up the road from it, her Dh was a Dr)

Every time he threatened after that, she told him, if you are a danger to yourself, I will have to call the police, the ambulance or drive you to the hospital.

I'm not saying that that's the *right* answer, but it's one that worked for them.