Menu

What's the rule of thumb for Saxon again?

IMO, I would go with 8/7.

We have used both here and 8/7 has more practice with the elementary math than does 1/2. After completing 8/7, she should be ready for Alg 1. No need to do both 1/2 and 8/7 unless the student really struggles with the algebra concepts in 8/7.

Older versions of Saxon used to recommend skipping 87 and going for Algebra 1/2 if the student did well. Newer versions reverse this recommendation, saying that you should do 87 and then do algebra 1/2 if the student does not display mastery. If your 87 book says that pre-algebra is included, that's the one you should use.

Older versions of Saxon used to recommend skipping 87 and going for Algebra 1/2 if the student did well. Newer versions reverse this recommendation, saying that you should do 87 and then do algebra 1/2 if the student does not display mastery. If your 87 book says that pre-algebra is included, that's the one you should use.

does anyone know which edition of 8/7 says this?

Scope and sequence for algebra 1/2, algebra 1 and algebra 2

From the FAQ at Saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com

What do you recommend for students after they have completed Math 7/6?

The recommended path after finishing Math 7/6 is to take Math 8/7. If your child finishes Math 8/7 with at least 80% mastery, skip ahead to Algebra 1. In previous editions, many people skipped Math 8/7 because they found it to be a weaker text than Algebra ½. In newer editions, pre-algebra content has been added to Math 8/7, making it a much stronger program.

I've also found the placement tests for Saxon helpful. The Middle Grades placement test helps place students into 8/7, algebra 1/2 or algebra 1.

A word of caution about the placement tests. All the ones I've seen have been very clear that they are not intended for kids already in Saxon and not accurate for that.

I wouldn't worry about the homework grades as long as the student is doing well on the tests. This was the advice I received from Art Reed when we started with Saxon (I called him after some initial difficulties) and it made our experience much better. Now I check her homework and have her rework missed problems with me, but don't give her any sort of grade for homework. She is graded only on the tests, but a problem is counted either entirely correct or entirely wrong, no partial credit.

For various options for sequencing, depending on whether you are on a fast, average or slow track in math, as well as which editions to use, take a look at Art Reed's site http://www.usingsaxo...012.php��scroll down to the April 2012 entry.

A word of caution about the placement tests. All the ones I've seen have been very clear that they are not intended for kids already in Saxon and not accurate for

I've seen that on every placement test from Saxon. I've even asked them to try to create something appropriate for long time users, who have exactly this question. I once got a reply that that was a great idea, but years later, it doesn't seem that it was ever created.

I think the placement tests give a good downcheck possibility. If a student is struggling to answer questions for the next level, then they probably have not mastered that material yet.

When John was alive and running the show he set up the sequence to be 76 then 1/2. But not every child was ready for Algebra, so 87 was developed. (Dh worked for John in the mid-90's.) My understanding is that 87 has been rewritten w/more Algebra in it ... hence the current confusion and/or frustration.

I originally asked the question b/c I couldn't remember what most people here do. I trust you more than the current owners ;)

When John was alive and running the show he set up the sequence to be 76 then 1/2. But not every child was ready for Algebra, so 87 was developed. (Dh worked for John in the mid-90's.) My understanding is that 87 has been rewritten w/more Algebra in it ... hence the current confusion and/or frustration.

I originally asked the question b/c I couldn't remember what most people here do. I trust you more than the current owners ;)

According to the background listed on his website, Mr. Reed also worked closely with John Saxon for many years, as well as taught the material for several years, which is one reason I feel comfortable with his recommendations. If anyone has any issues with the program (at least from 5/4 up, I don't know about the new younger materials), he is very happy to speak with you at length and give advice. When I emailed, he emailed right back, asked for my phone number and called me, talking for 20+ min regarding placement concerns I was having with my daughter, no fee or purchase of anything required whatsoever.

Art Reed says to look at the last 6 tests in 76. If your child scores at 80% or over on the last 6 tests, then she should be able to skip 87 and go straight to Algebra 1/2.

My dd12 finished 76 near the end of last year and her last 6 test scores were 80, 80, 90, 95, 95, and 100 so I figured she should be good to move to A1/2. She's doing fine. Algebra 1/2 and 87 are very similar content-wise except that 87 has a lot more revision in the start of the book which is good if a child needed a lot of reinforcement before moving on to the pre-Algebra content.

I highly recomment this book...http://homeschoolwit...eview-about.php

HTH