Menu

Valentines Day ideas needed

atozmom

I need some new and fun ideas for celebrating Valentines day. In the past we have always had a nice family dinner, homemade cards, candy, popcorn, movie, those kinds of things. However this year I want to do something fun and different for the kids. (and me) This will be the first one since my husband left (now in the midst of a divorce). I did this (started new traditions) for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it really helped.

We always have a cookout and valentine exchange during the day with our homeschool group. This is something we will continue as the kids and I have always enjoyed it. However, some other ideas for the rest of the day and evening would be great. Oh, and we are on a really tight budget so going out to eat and trying a new restraunt probably wouldn't be the best idea.

ETA: It's also my mom's birthday. We have always celebrated her birthday on the weekend before or after the 14th with my brother and SIL, but we could change this too.

Make it a "red food day". Pink heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, a heart shaped strawberry cake for dessert in the afternoon or evening, (decorate it w/ red hots or other red candies) Some kind of pasta w/ marinara sauce for supper, or even a heart shaped pizza w/ pepperoni or red bell peppers, I also like the idea of celebrating your mom's birthday on that day.

We like to do a simple cheese and chocolate fondue on valentines day. Even though it's just a really easy meal, it seems super special. I like to put some candles on the table, too, and have sparkling cider in the fancy glasses!

We make simple mail boxes and tape them to bedroom doors in early February. Then we slip little notes into each other's mail boxes. These are very easy - made from two paper plates. Cut one in half, put them "right sides together" and staple around the half plate. Then decorate with heart stickers.

I like the idea of starting new traditions. Your kids are so lucky to have you!