Menu

Decorating/DIY Divas, I need a little guidance

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

So this has been all over the internet for almost two years and I've finally talked DH into helping me do this with our very similar china cabinet. Maybe even this weekend! I plan to do a little less gold and a little more white, and I'm not too sure about the fancy contact paper in the back. Eh. We'll see.

My question is this: What to do with the matching table? I've already tossed the original chairs that came with it with a mix of parsons chairs from IKEA with cream covers and a DIY cover...cover (http://loveyourroom.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-morning-slip-cover-chair-project.html) and ladder back chairs (two have arms that we bought and attached, the others are straight ladder back) that we painted a cream color and new cushions (the pattern on the cushions is a pretty fabric from HobbyLobby with greens and blues and some pinks and yellows. It coordinates with the colors of the striped covers for the parson chairs.) I've yet to figure out what to do with the table, though. It's a large oval table, same style as the china cabinet. Three...four?...leaves. We usually have two leaves in, I'm pretty sure there are four altogether.

Any ideas? Would it look strange to leave the table as is? It needs to be refinished - there was some damage done when my SIL was using it. DH thinks I should look into all possibilities since refinishing it is going to be a big job anyway.

I am no diva, but if you finish it to coordinate with the cabinet, and are worried about scratching the top, you could have glass cut to fit the top. There's a place near Dulles that gives a decent discount if you pick it up rather than having it delivered. If you go that route, I always love the look of maps under the glass... (Is my inner nerd showing??)... If that works in your space.

I would think you would have a choice between painting it white to match the hutch or refinishing it the natural wood color - if the wood doesn't clash with the white. I know it sounds strange for wood to clash with white but if you do have the gold/white contact paper thing going on, then a reddish wood, for example, would look odd in my opinion.

Guest inoubliable

I am LOVING the suggestion of old maps under a glass top...and now I'm wondering if I could do old maps as the backing in the china cabinet, rather than the contact paper she's used. Hmmm...

Jean, that's what I was afraid of. That the wood color would look awful even if it's refinished. It's a very dark wood. I didn't want to dismiss a potential compliment in keeping the table the dark wood next to a white china cabinet, but now that you mention it I think the wood is too dark and too red. I'm going to have to paint the table, too. DH is going to insist on spray paint with that one.

I might have to take some pics tonight and post them so I can show the table and maybe get a good one of the color of the wood.

You could check out some of the Annie Sloan chalk paints for the table. If cost is an issue, you can make your own. This is what we did for small table in the living room. A glass top would be interesting because you can change what's underneath as the seasons change.

FYI...I think I finally figured out what to do with my travel maps of Scotland!