Menu

Dental Question--pulled teeth, need spacers?

Garga

DS7 had two baby molars pulled on either side of his upper jaw. They were being stubborn and not letting the adult molars come in, which was making a mess under his gum line.

They were pulled on Thursday. The orthodontist will see him in early March to see how everything looks.

But...his adult teeth won't have time to come down to fill the holes by then, and won't his teeth on either side of the pulled teeth start to lean into the holes? Shouldn't some sort of spacers be put in there right away?

I'm going to call the orthodontist tomorrow to ask him, but was hoping you guys would know something about this so I don't sound goofy and uneducated on the phone. (Because that's how I'm feeling about this right now.)

Guest inoubliable

One of my molars was pulled in 2005. No one ever said anything to me about a spacer and the next molar back has now completely collapsed into the space. The same thing is happening on the other side where I had a molar pulled in 2009.

Don't wait. Get the spacer.

My dd had a molar (one closest to the front) pulled when she was 8 and the dentist installed a spacer during the same visit because the adult tooth wasn't going to come in for a few years. If your son is 7, does the dentist anticipate the adult molars coming in at his age? That does not compute for me.