Menu

Teaching at CC?

Another thread got me thinking...is there a way to teach for CC in exchange for tuition? The cost is my main hesitation about CC...otherwise I think it would be a great fit for my girls. I admit, I don't know much about how cc works...but what would the requirements be in order to teach/assist? Does it cover part/all of the tuition? If you've done it, could you tell me how it works? Thanks!

This is our first year in CC. My two dds are enrolled in Foundations and I am also a tutor. My girls' tuition is covered by my tutoring. I think it probably varies from community to community, and would depend on how many students are enrolled, but your compensation as a tutor should cover most, if not all, of your child's/children's tuition.

Which CC are you talking about?

CC = community college, in which case usually you need a masters degree in the subject you want to teach, but there are times when they will hire you with a bachelor's degree and lots of work experience.

Or

CC = something else, in which case I have no idea

If there is a need for tutors, yes. But be sure it's a good fit for you. I have not tried it because I know it would overwhelm me. I have boys in two different foundations classes (separated by age) and I'm really hands-on with them all the time that we're there. We love it, and for us it is totally worth the fee. For all the benefits, we find it to be a bargain.

Something to keep in mind... As a tutor, I still paid a full years tuition by july (like everyone else), but I was reimbursed in six payments through the year. It didn't quite cover enough for three in foundations plus one in essentials, but close. Also, it did require a couple hours of prep each week.

RE: Classical Conversations, I think how much you get paid is a function of how big/full the classes in your community are as well. The two requirements I know apply to all communities is that the tutors must have been homeschooling for at least one year prior, and to sign a statement of faith. I have one child in Foundations, and my payments have more then equaled what I paid in tuition. However, I did pay a full year of tuition up front like all the other families as well. I prep at least a couple of hours a week, and every 6 weeks go to tutor meetings which also require prep (and a babysitter during the meeting). I really like tutoring, I enjoy it, I didn't even realize how much I was going to be getting, and it was a wonderful bonus.