Menu

How can I decorate my room for explorers to 1815?

Each year, I like to decorate the homeschool room to reflect what we're studying in history/literature that year. This year, it's the explorers and early American history...so I'm thinking ships, maybe a window mural with a view of a ship...or something, as well as colonial/War decor. Help! I also like to hang things from the ceiling--any ideas there? Where can I get stuff like this? I need to find it online, since there are no teacher supply stores in my area.

Another problem I'm having is that I'm running out of room on my wall for Veritas Press history cards. I'm looking for some timelines that will cover all of world history (creation to present). Correlation to biblical events is a must. Where can I find this? It would be nice if it came in pieces.

Here is a website with one thing you might use

wall decorations

Sorry, I looked all over for ya!

Ships and maps would be good, maybe a fun giant compass on the wall, maybe a picture of each explorer you are studying, hung from the ceiling as you get to them.

You could make some colonial stuff, like a 3D map of Jamestown, to hang on the wall.

Maybe print out some pics from yahoo images of typical colonial items--clothing, hornbook, toys, housing--and put on a piece of posterboard?

Maybe you could check ebay or look in thrift shops for old National Geographic maps that are appropriate. There are maps tracing the explorers routes. Perhaps download and print blueprints for building like the capital and white house. There should be tons of Revolutionary War type pictures out there.

Perhaps printing on cardstock instead of on paper would help them seem official or download a frame graphic and then create a document with the frame and the picture inside?

Look for pirate party themed stuff-sometimes they can be altered to be just ships.