Menu

Apologia Swimming Creatures Junior Journal

atozmom

I am trying to decide between the junior journal and the regular journal for ds. Because he is so hands on, he enjoyed the cutting and pasting activities that were in the Flying creatures junior journal that were not in the regular journal. If you have used the Swimming Creatures junior journal, were there cut and paste activities in this one as well? TIA

Yes, even the regular notebooking journals have minibooks for cutting and pasting. We've used Zoology 2 and 3 and many of the activities are the same in both books, but the Junior version has more.

i am sorry, I should have clarified, the cutting and pasting activities I was talking about were in addition to the minibooks.

At 4th grade would you use the regular book?

Most would, yes. However I don't always go by what others would use at a certain grade level. For something like this I go by the interests of my child. That's the beauty of homeschooling. :001_smile:

Most would, yes. However I don't always go by what others would use at a certain grade level. For something like this I go by the interests of my child. That's the beauty of homeschooling. :001_smile:

I've never seen the jr book so I can't say. I have the regular one for Zoo 1 and some of the terms, etc seem really a lot higher than 4th grade. I'm conflicted.

I've never seen the jr book so I can't say. I have the regular one for Zoo 1 and some of the terms, etc seem really a lot higher than 4th grade. I'm conflicted.

The terms used would be the same in both journals. However, the difference is the activities. The junior does not have the crosswords or the What Do You Remember questions. Here is an example of a cut and paste activity...in Lesson 4 in the junior journal there is a vocabulary puzzle game. They have the vocabulary word on one puzzle piece and the definition on another. The student is to cut out the puzzle pieces and figure out which goes with which. Also in lesson 5...They cut out pictures of the different types of nests and then paste them them above the correct name on another page.

We use a jr journal and a lapbook from A Journey Through Learning. I just pick a few lapbook pieces from each lesson and we glue them into our journal along with the minibooks. There is usually extra space on the minibook page. We also sometimes use the cursive copywork page if we need another page to glue something, since we only do the print page. This would be a really easy way for you to add some cut and paste activities to either journal. We don't do everything from the lapbook, I just print a few from each lesson. You could also do the whole lapbook separate to the notebook, but that would be too much for us and we like having everything in the notebook.

As for deciding between the journals, it seems to me to come down to the vocab and colouring pages. The jr journals have the colouring pages, the regular do not. The regular have much more vocab in them. I plan to switch when I think ds is ready for the vocab. He is getting so he could take or leave the colouring.

We use a jr journal and a lapbook from A Journey Through Learning. I just pick a few lapbook pieces from each lesson and we glue them into our journal along with the minibooks. There is usually extra space on the minibook page. We also sometimes use the cursive copywork page if we need another page to glue something, since we only do the print page. This would be a really easy way for you to add some cut and paste activities to either journal. We don't do everything from the lapbook, I just print a few from each lesson. You could also do the whole lapbook separate to the notebook, but that would be too much for us and we like having everything in the notebook.

As for deciding between the journals, it seems to me to come down to the vocab and colouring pages. The jr journals have the colouring pages, the regular do not. The regular have much more vocab in them. I plan to switch when I think ds is ready for the vocab. He is getting so he could take or leave the colouring.

Definitely can't afford to purchase to different journals.

DS doesn't even do the coloring pages, but I knew he he would like the other pages better in the junior journal than the regular when I looked at Zoo 1 at last year's convention. Unfortunately I did not think to look at the rest of the volumes. :tongue_smilie:

Sounds like we should just stick to the regular ones. She can color with other things. :)

Definitely can't afford to purchase to different journals.

DS doesn't even do the coloring pages, but I knew he he would like the other pages better in the junior journal than the regular when I looked at Zoo 1 at last year's convention. Unfortunately I did not think to look at the rest of the volumes. :tongue_smilie:

The journals are all very similar. So the activities are similar for all the jr journals, I looked through our swimming creatures jr journal and there are some extra cut and paste activities. I couldn't tell you for sure if there are more or less than the Zoo 1 journal. But the pages are very similar. Have you looked at the samples at cbd?

I purchased our last AJTL lapbook for $9 during the back to school sale. If you sign up for newsletters from their website and also through currclick you should be able to catch it on sale at some point. Right now it is $15 on currclick.

Sounds like we should just stick to the regular ones. She can color with other things. :)

You keep changing your avatar (profile pic?) and confusing me! I swear it was different last time I was on this thread. But I can tell who you are from the pic in your siggy. Just don't change that or you will really have us all confused!

Maybe I should add a pic one of these days... :auto:

I looked through our swimming creatures jr journal and there are some extra cut and paste activities.

Thank you so much!! This was the information I was looking for.

Have you looked at the samples at cbd?
I did, but it didn't really show me the pages I wanted. However, I just remembered the Apologia site (duh) and am headed there now.

I purchased our last AJTL lapbook for $9 during the back to school sale. If you sign up for newsletters from their website and also through currclick you should be able to catch it on sale at some point. Right now it is $15 on currclick.

I will keep this in mind. However, even an extra $9 is too much right now.

You keep changing your avatar (profile pic?) and confusing me! I swear it was different last time I was on this thread. But I can tell who you are from the pic in your siggy. Just don't change that or you will really have us all confused!

Maybe I should add a pic one of these days... :auto:

Ha ha - sorry about that. My account was originally tied to my FB account and it took my profile pic from there. When I de-linked it, I had to put a new one up. My daughter didn't like that cartoon one and wanted me to put the "Simpson-ize" Me one of the whole family, so I put that one up. I think I actually want to go back to the facebook one. LOL

My 3rd grader will be using the junior notebook. I was leaning more towards the regular book, but she thought the junior edition looked more fun. The regular notebook requires more writing which appealed to me, but my dd is a reluctant writer. I think the junior notebook is the best for her and won't squash her enthusiam for learning . In my book, this was an extra that should be considered fun no matter which one you choose. Enjoy!! :-)