Menu

read aloud for people who don't like to read aloud

I don't enjoy reading aloud to the kids. We have five, a baby up to a 3rd grader. The kids seem to get bored easily, don't really follow along, daydream, and don't have anything to say about what we just read. Honestly, I don't enjoy reading out loud. The two kids who are old enough to read do so on their own and don't seem to have problems with comprehension or writing about what they read. That said, I'd like to read to the younger ones.

Any suggestions beyond basic picture books? I'm searching for books in-between a picture book and a chapter book that are interesting enough to hold their attention (and discourage frustrating interruptions) without so many pictures that all the kids end up climbing on each other and me to get a look.

Thanks!

I don't enjoy reading aloud to the kids. We have five, a baby up to a 3rd grader. The kids seem to get bored easily, don't really follow along, daydream, and don't have anything to say about what we just read. Honestly, I don't enjoy reading out loud. The two kids who are old enough to read do so on their own and don't seem to have problems with comprehension or writing about what they read. That said, I'd like to read to the younger ones.

Any suggestions beyond basic picture books? I'm searching for books in-between a picture book and a chapter book that are interesting enough to hold their attention (and discourage frustrating interruptions) without so many pictures that all the kids end up climbing on each other and me to get a look.

Thanks!

When do you read to them? What worked best for us was to read right after lunch, one chapter a day from a good book (if it had chapters; if it didn't, I read the whole book).. I never read to them at night, because I wanted all of us to be awake when I was reading, lol, and when it was time for bed, I wanted.them.in.bed. :laugh: And one chapter a day was doable.

Do they need to say anything about what you read? Can't they just listen (or not)?

Can you read to the olders while the youngers take naps? Also, when reading the picture books to the littles, don't you think it's possible to teach them not to climb on each other (and you)?

You can use the time to teach manners about interrupting too. I do.

As far as good books - I suggest you look at the Sonlight books. We have really enjoyed many of those. Right now we are reading Henry Huggins, and the kids and I don't want to put it down! And bonus - Beverly Cleary has written lots of books, so if you like that, you're set for a while. :)

I have never found a really good time for read alouds lately. So, during lunch, we have listened to a chapter or two of a book on tape. Some of them have multiple voices or just a really good narrator who can do multiple voices well. We just finished "The Light Princess" by George McDonald and it had multiple voices and music. It was well done. My kids listen better to the books on tape than they do my reading. It's a win win for me.

Beth

Part of it may be that they're picking up on your dislike of reading aloud. I second the suggestion for audiobooks. You can find some free ones on Librivox, or check your library for something like the My Father's Dragon series. Naxos makes some good audiobooks for children, and incorporate classical music, too. Ariel has enjoyed the ones she's listened to.

Thanks!

I could have written this a few years ago. For a very long time I just didn't bother reading to them. But the guilt was relentless :rolleyes: - I believed it was very important, I just hated doing it!

So I started. Like Ellie, we read after lunch (lunch, clean-up/chores, read aloud time). Sometimes during lunch if my oldest has a class he needs to get to. We start with poetry memorization - a line or two at a time for about 5 minutes. Then I read for about 1/2 hour. I try to find books that *I* like and/or that I really want them to hear but that in their short lives they might not have time to read themselves. :D I still get tired reading, but it's better than it was. I read to everyone regardless of the book - my 17yo listens to The House at Pooh Corner and my 3yo listens to Watership Down. We still have to work on keeping ourselves quiet and relatively still. :) For story-time, at least, I read without any expectations that they will love, understand, or remember what I've read.

I'm of the opinion that children of every age (even high schoolers) need to be read to, and I want them to be read to by me. Once in a while my older kids will read at story time, but I'd rather do it myself even though it's hard.

My kids really love the Thornton Burgess animal books. Here is one of them. The chapters are only 2 pages long! Plus, there are pictures you can copy and let the kids color while they read. We always read 1-2 chapters of these books when the kids are eating their snack before bed. My husband loves these books too! We also always read a chapter book while the kids eat lunch. Here are some more of our favorites:

My Father's Dragon

Boxcar Children series (the first few are really excellent, but there are a few duds)

Winnie the Pooh stories

Stuart Little

Various folktales and fairy tales

Mr Popper's Penguins

A Bear Called Paddington

James Herriot Treasury (don't judge it by the first story!)