Menu

Crayon in the dryer

boscopup

I washed kid clothes this weekend, and when I pulled them out of the dryer, I realized they all had neon green crayon stains. Apparently, someone got a crayon mixed in with the dirty clothes. Ugh.

So I've looked up how to get crayon out of the clothes. Everyone says WD40. Um... It's not really working on my test subjects so far. What seems to be having some effect (but not getting it all the way out) is to do WD40, followed by Shout Advanced, followed by Dawn dish soap and lots of rinsing. And there is still faint crayon there. I cannot do this for every piece of clothing. It is too many with too many spots. I've pulled out the things that would be more expensive to replace (DS1's pants) and my 3 year old's pants that I don't want to spend money replacing (last child).

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to get crayon out of clothes that won't take hours of spot treatment?

We had the same disaster recently. I found that the garbage can was my friend. I didn't really like all those socks anyway. For the best clothes I had to do a similar cycle to what you are describing; WD40, handwash with dish soap, repeat. It took forever and worked on some pieces, but not on others. I wish I had better advice.

A friend posted this site with lots recommendations for cleaning the dryer. The heat and scrub method (repeated several times) worked great to get my dryer back in shape. The next load of clothes had no staining. Phew!

This happened to us with a red crayon several years ago. My go to for laundry emergencies hasn't changed. Use dishwasher soap with hot water in the washing machine; add color safe bleach, and then add the clothes. Most things were salvageable, and some had to be washed twice.

I'm sorry. This kind of stuff sucks.

I had good luck ironing the wax out of the clothes when this happened here. I covered the stained areas with a white cloth and ironed over them on the hottest setting. Most of the wax came out into the cloth then I just had to wash out the color (dishwashing detergent worked well).

I washed kid clothes this weekend, and when I pulled them out of the dryer, I realized they all had neon green crayon stains. Apparently, someone got a crayon mixed in with the dirty clothes. Ugh.

So I've looked up how to get crayon out of the clothes. Everyone says WD40. Um... It's not really working on my test subjects so far. What seems to be having some effect (but not getting it all the way out) is to do WD40, followed by Shout Advanced, followed by Dawn dish soap and lots of rinsing. And there is still faint crayon there. I cannot do this for every piece of clothing. It is too many with too many spots. I've pulled out the things that would be more expensive to replace (DS1's pants) and my 3 year old's pants that I don't want to spend money replacing (last child).

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to get crayon out of clothes that won't take hours of spot treatment?

Oops. Haven't replied from an iPad before.

You have my sympathy. I haven't done the crayon thing before, but one time my daughter had Silly Putty in her pocket. It ruined the whole load. Silly Putty has been banned from our house for over a decade now ;)

This is the advice I followed when it kept happening before I banned crayons for a while http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf690227.tip.html

For the clothes I do this from http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001203.tip.html

WOW! I'm SO glad I googled how to remove melted crayon on dried clothing!! I washed a load of my teenage daughter's school uniform pants last night, and tossed them in the dryer last night as well. When I unloaded the dryer this morning, I found large splotches of orange, yellow, white and blue crayon on EVERYTHING! I was not happy at all. I was all prepared to go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on new uniform pants for her, then I thought I would google it and see if there were any suggestions and I found this site! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! I already knew how to clean the crayon out of my new dryer, and thanks to the suggestion of 1c. detergent (I used Gain powder) 1c. Oxyclean 1c. white vinegar 1c. Shout Let soak in hot water for an hour, then wash....ALL THE STAINS CAME OUT! My daughter was really happy too, because I was REALLY upset with her. Thanks again for this amazing site and for the suggestions!! You saved my day, my sanity and my credit cards and bank account! (12/01/2007)

fwiw, I have NEVER used WD40 on clothes to get out crayon:)

This happened to us with a red crayon several years ago. My go to for laundry emergencies hasn't changed. Use dishwasher soap with hot water in the washing machine; add color safe bleach, and then add the clothes. Most things were salvageable, and some had to be washed twice. I'm sorry. This kind of stuff sucks.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Thank you SOOOOOOO much! I tried this last night, just running the whole load with some powdered Cascade and Clorox Stain and Color Booster (I think they no longer call it color-safe bleach like they used to?). First load, I was seeing definite differences, so I ran it one more time. Now I have 3/4 of the load in the dryer, crayon-free!!!! The rest, I'll run through again after trying this:

I had good luck ironing the wax out of the clothes when this happened here. I covered the stained areas with a white cloth and ironed over them on the hottest setting. Most of the wax came out into the cloth then I just had to wash out the color (dishwashing detergent worked well).

I'll bet this will take care of my remaining issues. Most of what is left is that solid stuff accumulated on the fabric. I'll bet the iron will take it right out, and one more wash with the dishwashing detergent and Clorox stuff should take care of the stain underneath.

I am so happy!!! I'm glad I posted here, because I did not see these suggestions anywhere online in my searches. Everything was saying to use WD-40!

Oh, and I didn't have to do anything to my dryer, thankfully. I looked at it, and there was some green coloring, but it wasn't clumps of green or anything like that. It was similar to the blue staining that was already there from washing new jeans. So I just ran a load of towels, and they were fine - no green. I just did whites last night, and they're not green either. :D (I'd done 2 other loads of darker clothes before the whites)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You ladies saved me a lot of headache and money!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Thank you SOOOOOOO much! I tried this last night, just running the whole load with some powdered Cascade and Clorox Stain and Color Booster (I think they no longer call it color-safe bleach like they used to?). First load, I was seeing definite differences, so I ran it one more time. Now I have 3/4 of the load in the dryer, crayon-free!!!! The rest, I'll run through again after trying this:

You ladies saved me a lot of headache and money!

I am so glad! It's been 7 or 8 years, but I still remember that huge feeling of relief when I realized that the clothes weren't all ruined, that I wouldn't have to go out and buy new things for everyone! I think I ended up not getting the crayon out of a pajama shirt, but I could (gladly) live with that! :)