Menu

What can you even say in this situation?

tearose

I recently found out some really bad news about someone I know of through mutual aquaintances. She was found brutally murdered in her apartment. It's horrifying, and I don't have any idea what to say to the people who were close to her. "I'm sorry" doesn't even seem to come close to expressing what I should say.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. How awful!

No one expects you to say the perfect "right" thing. Just don't say the wrong thing. "I'm sorry," is simple and fine. I'd send a normal sympathy card with a nice message. You can google how to write it. You could also donate to a fund for the victim's family or to a charity in her name, but this is optional.

I agree with the previous posters - there is no perfect thing to say, and a sincere "I'm sorry" is fine.

I don't know this from personal experience, but I've heard from others that it hurts more when people stay away because they're uncomfortable or don't know what to say. People who have experienced a loss just want to know that you care, regardless of how you express it. :grouphug: