Menu

Artichokes

Night Elf

We love artichoke!! Yum, yum, yummy! Not at all like celery, imo.

To prep, I trim off the pointy bits with my kitchen scissors and then boil or steam them. A friend adds capers and lemon to the water, I just use water.

To serve, place on the plate and take each 'leaf' off. We dip the tender ends into mayo/lemon juice and scrap off the good stuff with our teeth. But the heart is the best! We scrape the choke off (the part with the 'baby pointy bits/fuzzy stuff') with a spoon and discard that. Then devour the heart - yum, yum, yummy!

Can you tell I love artichokes!!!!

We love artichoke!! Yum, yum, yummy! Not at all like celery, imo.

To prep, I trim off the pointy bits with my kitchen scissors and then boil or steam them. A friend adds capers and lemon to the water, I just use water.

To serve, place on the plate and take each 'leaf' off. We dip the tender ends into mayo/lemon juice and scrap off the good stuff with our teeth. But the heart is the best! We scrape the choke off (the part with the 'baby pointy bits/fuzzy stuff') with a spoon and discard that. Then devour the heart - yum, yum, yummy!

Can you tell I love artichokes!!!!

That sounds simple enough! I'll try it this afternoon. We didn't plan for it to be a part of our dinner because we didn't know if we would like them. I remember having one when I was a kid and it must have been stuffed because I clearly remember bread crumbs mushed down between the leaves. Then again, my memory is not so great and I might be confusing it with something else.

Any idea how long to boil it? There is just one for now.

Trim the end of each leaf so it isn't pokey, cut off the stem. Boil for about 30-45 min or until soft.

Serve in a bowl.

Peel off a leaf, dip it in mayo or melted butter, and bite down and scrape the pulp off with your teeth.

Once all the leaves are gone, rip off the inner gathering of thin leaves, scrape off the hair-like things, and go to town on the heart, my favorite part.

Maybe there is a You Tube video for how to get to the heart. ;) it's a little tricky the first time.

i find they usually take about an hour to steam (put water in the pan, stand up the artichoke - trim the stem so it stands - and cover so it steams). we dip in lemon butter. it is one of our ultimate family treats. when they go on sale for 2/5 i get 4 . . .

I cut off part of stem and trim the ends of the leaves, then boil for about 30 minutes. I usually 'test' for doneness by plucking off a leaf from the middle. THe meat of the leaf should be soft and easy to scrape off-if not- then I know they need to cook a little longer.

I grew up dipping in butter- but we just eat them plain when we cook them and they are delicious.

And YES they are good for you!!! :)