Menu

Horse peeps! A question....

Juniper

.......We are getting ready to haul dd's pony 21 hrs in a straight shot. Anyone have any pointers for doing this over such a long distance. We did 13 hours a couple years ago, but this is the longest I have done before.

I will start electrolytes 48hrs ahead of time and I have some calming stuff to add to his feed.

Also, he is going to be going from a Southeast Texas climate to a Northern Michigan climate. I have a warm underblanket, outer blanket 1200D and a matching hood. Anyone, transition a horse from a warm climate to a cold one? He is quite fuzzy, but I do not think that means a whole lot. ;)

Are you going to stop overnight someplace and unload him? There is a book of various horse "hotels" where you can stable a horse overnight.

Where are you headed in Michigan? We are just a ways off a highway if you needed a place to stop.

Hopefully it will warm up by the time you haul. Right now we have windchills about 15 below zero.

Are you going to stop overnight someplace and unload him? There is a book of various horse "hotels" where you can stable a horse overnight.

Where are you headed in Michigan? We are just a ways off a highway if you needed a place to stop.

Hopefully it will warm up by the time you haul. Right now we have windchills about 15 below zero.

We are trying not to stop, unless we have to due to road conditions. I will be watching the weather closely as we approach Thursday. We are leaving here Thur midday and traveling through the night. So far the weather forecast is good, but that could always change. ;) My niece rides show Arabs in Grand Rapids so I figure I could find stop there if need be.

Would you be willing to pm me your phone number and general area.It is always nice to have options when and if the roads get dicey. I know you moved when the highway was widened. It is funny after all that, dh will now be working in that same state. ;)

Final destination is close to Traverse City, but dh has to be at a meeting on Sat on the other side of the state somewhere between lansing and detroit so if we have any hiccups we will have to stop and hole up for a day or so while he does his meeting.

I will pm you the info.

Traverse City is a nice place. LOTS of snow right now but I think the weather is supposed to be better by Thursday. Today most schools are closed in the GR area.

If you come up, I would suggest taking US 131 through Grand Rapids north instead of US 31 (along the lake) if it is snowing hard as right along the lake are the snow belts.

So, are you moving to TC? That will be a big change from Texas----esp now that we are having record cold along with lake effect snow.

Another thought would be to make sure to bed the trailer down deep for comfort and then when you stop try to clean up the poop and pee as it might freeze and get slick once you hit the really cold here. Offer warmer water (like 50 or so) as often as you can.

Hopefully someone else can help you out more. The longest we have ever trailered was about 2 hours.

Shipping wraps to support his legs (checked regularly), not shipping boots though-they almost always slide down and bring on more issues-I used polo wraps when I travel. Rubber floor mats are a must when traveling far and deeply bedding it down. Loose tied if possible would be better since they can move around as needed. Otherwise I highly suggest stopping to allow for rest. Electrolytes 2 days in advance is good and keep going through trip. Offer lukewarm water if possible (bringing a few jugs from his home source is even better since some horses will not drink funny tasting or smelling water when traveling). Hay in a net at all times so he can keep that gut moving and a fly mask on to protect his eyes unless your trailer is fairly enclosed. The blankets are good and he will most likely need them up there and during his trip. Texas woolies and Michigan woolies are two different things, lol.

Shipping wraps to support his legs (checked regularly), not shipping boots though-they almost always slide down and bring on more issues-I used polo wraps when I travel. Rubber floor mats are a must when traveling far and deeply bedding it down. Loose tied if possible would be better since they can move around as needed. Otherwise I highly suggest stopping to allow for rest. Electrolytes 2 days in advance is good and keep going through trip. Offer lukewarm water if possible (bringing a few jugs from his home source is even better since some horses will not drink funny tasting or smelling water when traveling). Hay in a net at all times so he can keep that gut moving and a fly mask on to protect his eyes unless your trailer is fairly enclosed. The blankets are good and he will most likely need them up there and during his trip. Texas woolies and Michigan woolies are two different things, lol.

I was debating polo wraps. I hate, HATE! shipping boots with a passion. I think I will vet wrap the polo wraps in place.

He has a pretty roomy, slant loaded, stall. Enclosed at the front (sliding screened window if we want) but above the back above the door is open so plenty of good air. We do have rubber mats down so that is a go.

Ottakee, thanks about the heads up on frozen pee! Didn't cross my mind.

I have been debating flavoring his water today and tomorrow and getting him used to that so he will drink whatever water I give him.

Thank you for helping me trouble shoot this adventure!

The longest we have ever trailered was 12 hours straight, so I am interested in knowing how it goes for you for 21. We stopped every couple of hours so they could to just stand and give their legs a break. We offered water when we stopped and had brought it with us. They had hay nets filled so they could munch on that constantly. We only have a four horse, front load. We positioned them so they could lean/brace against each other and against the back gate and that helped take some of the pressure off of them individually. Thankfully, we didn't have any problems on that trip, but we are getting ready to do it again in March and I am getting nervous again. Good luck and I hope all goes well!

I think you've gotten good advice so far...but watch him closely if you blanket him at any time during the trip. Riding in a trailer can be hard work for a horse; most of mine sweat like pigs. CountryGirl is right; your pony's Texax woolies are different than Michigan woolies, but physical effort might still cause him to sweat. The last thing you want is a sweaty pony under a heavy blanket in the trailer. That's just begging for a nasty colic episode. I don't think polo wraps will hurt as long as they are on properly/snuggly, but they will slip at some point, so I don't think I would trust them for such a long trip. I also don't think they offer any real support or protection. I wouldn't trailer in anything other than standing bandages (the long, non-stretchy kind 'pillow' wraps underneath). These will give you both support and protection from scrambling hooves if pony needs to catch his balance in a hurry and, wrapped properly, shouldn't slip enough to pose a danger during your trip. We usually trailer with bell boots, too, just to protect the coronet band and fetlock area and prevent shoes from getting pulled if there's any scrambling.

I think I will bring a sandbag. that way I can give him a little traction if things freeze up a bit. Ugh!!!

Sand sounds like a good idea to have on hand to soak up any wet spots, especially for a long trip. I never thought of that--I like it! But I think it was Ottakee up thread who mentioned bedding the trailer down well--I would definitely bed well with fluffy pine shavings (not the finer sawdust...it'll just blow away. Ask me how I know. LOL. The shavings seem to give more "cushion," too, though I'm not sure how much that makes a difference). That should give pony some cushion and keep things from getting too slippery.

I think you've gotten good advice so far...but watch him closely if you blanket him at any time during the trip. Riding in a trailer can be hard work for a horse; most of mine sweat like pigs. CountryGirl is right; your pony's Texax woolies are different than Michigan woolies, but physical effort might still cause him to sweat. The last thing you want is a sweaty pony under a heavy blanket in the trailer. That's just begging for a nasty colic episode. I don't think polo wraps will hurt as long as they are on properly/snuggly, but they will slip at some point, so I don't think I would trust them for such a long trip. I also don't think they offer any real support or protection. I wouldn't trailer in anything other than standing bandages (the long, non-stretchy kind 'pillow' wraps underneath). These will give you both support and protection from scrambling hooves if pony needs to catch his balance in a hurry and, wrapped properly, shouldn't slip enough to pose a danger during your trip. We usually trailer with bell boots, too, just to protect the coronet band and fetlock area and prevent shoes from getting pulled if there's any scrambling.

Thanks! Yeah, I am still debating the polo wraps. I haven't used standing wraps in soooo long that I am wary of getting them "safe" for such a long haul. We are prepared to find a place to stop half way if need be.

He is barefoot right now, so no shoes to worry about. We will be stopping every few hours for gas and to let him rest a bit.

I considered boarding him here until the weather is better, but that was such a nightmare during the last move that I just want to keep him close.

Thankfully, he hauls really well in general.

Keep the ideas coming! :)

Thanks! Yeah, I am still debating the polo wraps. I haven't used standing wraps in soooo long that I am wary of getting them "safe" for such a long haul. We are prepared to find a place to stop half way if need be.

He is barefoot right now, so no shoes to worry about. We will be stopping every few hours for gas and to let him rest a bit.

I considered boarding him here until the weather is better, but that was such a nightmare during the last move that I just want to keep him close.

Thankfully, he hauls really well in general.

Keep the ideas coming! :)

I'm sure he will be absolutely fine...especially if he's a relatively calm critter. I think that's 75% of the battle right there.

Practice with standing wraps before your trip a couple times. If you've done it before, I'm sure they will be fine. Just remember to pull snug across the front of the leg, not the back/tendon...which you probably already know. lol. Sorry, I worked in a show barn and taught lessons for years. I guess I get stuck in trainer mode!

I'm sure he will be absolutely fine...especially if he's a relatively calm critter. I think that's 75% of the battle right there.

Practice with standing wraps before your trip a couple times. If you've done it before, I'm sure they will be fine. Just remember to pull snug across the front of the leg, not the back/tendon...which you probably already know. lol. Sorry, I worked in a show barn and taught lessons for years. I guess I get stuck in trainer mode!

You do not offend me! I suffer the same ailment ;) I just have a deep hatred of wraps and trailers combined, but I haven't had to haul this far before.....so even I am rethinking some things.

Polo wraps are all I haul in for short or long trips. I always bring an extra set for long trips so about half way we can stop, I remove the dirty ones, check legs, let them walk a bit or graze and then rewrap and reload. You can definitely run a swatch of vet wrap around them to hold them better, but if applied properly it will take quite a while to slip.

As for sweating under blankets, it really depends on how the driving conditions are. Open somewhat straight and smoother roads are fairly easy. Turning, starting and stopping is what makes them work to stay up. Always check under the blankets and make sure pony is comfy. I'd be apt to use a windbreaking type one (if my trailer was an open type) with a lighter fill. I would not use one if my trailer was fully enclosed. It's the wind that concerns me when it's cold (or raining) and we're trailering in an open trailer.

Polo wraps are all I haul in for short or long trips. I always bring an extra set for long trips so about half way we can stop, I remove the dirty ones, check legs, let them walk a bit or graze and then rewrap and reload. You can definitely run a swatch of vet wrap around them to hold them better, but if applied properly it will take quite a while to slip.

As for sweating under blankets, it really depends on how the driving conditions are. Open somewhat straight and smoother roads are fairly easy. Turning, starting and stopping is what makes them work to stay up. Always check under the blankets and make sure pony is comfy. I'd be apt to use a windbreaking type one (if my trailer was an open type) with a lighter fill. I would not use one if my trailer was fully enclosed. It's the wind that concerns me when it's cold (or raining) and we're trailering in an open trailer.

It is almost fully enclosed. Just the back upper part is open. I think I will start with no blankets as it will be near 70 here and asses when we hit mid Il, since that is where the temp will drop.

You guys are fun to chat about this with. :) Dh's eyes just kinda glaze over.;)

Yeah! Got the computer up and running so I can give and update. We finally made it, safe and sound (barely) after 27 hours!!!! Pony did awesome, but I don't think he will want to see the inside of trailer anytime soon. ;)

We had a scary, very close call in Il. The semi in front of us started to slide on iced over roads. The ice came out of nowhere, one moment fine, the next a sheet of ice. So, the semi start to slide and dh immediately understand why. He knows he cannot just slam his breaks, so we try to let the trailer slow us (thankfully it was a flat area) swerve around the swerving trailer only to be present with another trailer jackknifed across both lanes and a line of cars progressing slowly around the semi on the shoulder. We are still traveling faster than the semi in front of us. Dh pull around the first semi, all the while gently trying to slow down then cuts in front of the whole line (because he cannot stop) makes it around the jackknifed semi on the shoulder using the rumble strip to give further traction. On the other side there is another large horse trailer pulled over and the drivers were talking with each other. We just kept going, slow and steady. It quickly cleared as soon as it had come. We had one other slippery slope in Northern Michigan, but we did finally arrive.

We took pony to the indoor arena so he could walk and move around, before placing him in his stall for the night. Today he was happy as a lark out in a snow covered pasture. He is now double blanketed, because he just doesn't have enough body fat and he is from the Tropics. Dd rode him a little bare back in the indoor arena today. It is one of those white, domed, plastic arenas. There was a layer of snow across the top and in the sun it kept breaking in large chunks and falling down the sides. Pony was a bit freaked out, but didn't bolt. Just raised his head and snorted at the ceiling. :)