Menu

What grade do I begin FLL 1?

Mom28kds

I start my children later than many on this board. But, so far I have had children who were not reading as early as most either. So, I would say don't start at a grade level. Start when they are reading a bit. They don't need to be reading completely on their own. But, I would not start until they can read a beginning reader. I started early with my last two kids and it just didn't sink in. It did expose them to grammar. But, I would rather wait a bit and use my time to focus on beginning reading and beginning math.

I have 5 kids though and just do not have any time to waste in my schedule....ymmv :)

You can do FLL1 with a first grader, just easy going not trying to make them remember everything. It super easy! Takes 5-10 minutes and you can skip or combine lessons if it seems redundant. That said, you can also just wait and do FLL2 with your 2nd grader and there will be no loss as it is all reviewed again except the poems. I just started FLL1 with my 1st grade boy mostly so he and I would have a couple things we do together without his big sisters.

My kids generally did book 1 in first grade, and book 2 in second grade. My late reader couldn't wrap her brain around grammar concepts until grade 3, so that's when she started. We seriously condensed the combined 1/2 book and she was in the 3 book by the end of her third grade year. My very precocious DD began the series when she was doing solid first grade level language arts in all subjects.

You can do FLL1 with a first grader, just easy going not trying to make them remember everything. It super easy! Takes 5-10 minutes and you can skip or combine lessons if it seems redundant. That said, you can also just wait and do FLL2 with your 2nd grader and there will be no loss as it is all reviewed again except the poems. I just started FLL1 with my 1st grade boy mostly so he and I would have a couple things we do together without his big sisters.

Ok, thanks. So I just bought FLL 1 and 2. I could use FLL 1 with my 1st grader (only making her do what she can) and use FLL 2 with my 2nd grader. Hmmm, probably should have just bought FLL 2 then. Oh well.

Haha, only HSing 4 at the time :)

What do I do for them if they aren't ready. Just keep working on phonics?

Yes I would just keep working on Phonics till the child can read a beginning reader with out much help and doesn't really balk at writing a small sentence. But, like I said, I am pretty relaxed and have dealt with two of my kids having special needs. When I jumped in as early as first grade it just seemed like wasted time or worse it created a unhealthy learning dynamic. My little girl is my fourth child. And, I think she is all ready wanted to read and write. Such a huge difference from my third child. Peace Hill Press puts Levels on their curriculum for that reason. They want them to be levels and not grade levels.

You could give it a go. Then back off if necessary :). That is how I roll.

I am just now (after Christmas) starting FLL and WWE with my first grader. He seemed to finally make that leap in reading and I felt he was ready. I would not have started at the beginning of the school year since we were still working our way through phonics and reading. He is still a beginner reader but the was ready for a bit more formal work and narration. He loves the poetry memorization too!

You can jump in at grade level anytime in the FLL series - whenever your kid is ready to start grammar.

I have a hard time imagining doing FLL1 any later than 1st grade, but my experience with 1st grade and up so far is an accelerated child who gets grammar easily. He really should have done FLL3 in 1st grade. That would have been a better fit. I'm going to try FLL1 with my current K'er next year in 1st grade, but if he's not ready for it, I'll just set it aside and jump in at grade level whenever he is ready. He's not reading very well yet, though FLL1 and 2 really don't require the child to read much, IIRC. I think he would enjoy the poem memorization and the various other things that are in there besides the grammar (45 lessons on common vs. proper noun... and I'm thinking even this child won't need that many lessons on it, as he's been noticing that people's names are capitalized).

We started it in second grade after pulling ds out of ps. He had not had any grammar instruction so we thought we'd start at the beginning. Lessons were short enough that he did not mind covering the basics and he very much enjoyed showing how quickly he could memorize the poems. Ds easily completed FLL 1 and 2 in a single year.

We'll likely follow the same path for our current K'er.

Jim

I am planning on starting FLL with my current Kinder next year for 1st grade. I'm ready to combine or stretch it out or even to drop it depending on how he does. I'll also tweak things if needed. I have the combined FLL1/2 book. I doubt I'll use any FLL higher than 1 and 2, since there are other grammar programs in the higher grades I like and want to use.

We started FLL1 at the start of 1st 2 weeks ago, I can honestly say it is her favorite program ATM she is just loving every second of it! (DD is 5 turning 6 in April)

Oh, and my 4yo tags along and she loves it too, she has memorised every single lesson so far and begs for more lol, this has been a huge hit here!