Menu

Fafsa- did you answer two dc in college if one was at CC

rockala

I have not thought of this before but if dd is in college in the fall, our ds wil start CC. Not exactly sure how many courses yet, but he will take at least two per semester- possibly three.

As I was starting to fill out the Fafsa and CSS I saw this quetion come up. I think the profile actually said answer yes if one child is going at least half-time. If I answer yes does that mean I need to fill out a Fafsa for him? Even though he is only at CC?

Anyone else have this come up?

Thanks,

Kathy

If he is an actual college student attending at least part time, NOT a dual enrollment high school student, then yes I would say 2 students on the FAFSA.

And if he is a high school grad starting at the CC then if he is doing at least the hours required to be part time (I think that is 9-12 at our CC) then yes, I would fill out a FAFSA for him and fill out the Financial Aid forms at the CC. It never hurts to try. :)

hth,

Georgia

Kathy,

I would check into this further with the FAFSA folks. You might also try asking on College Confidential in the financial aid section.

My guess is that unless the 2nd child at the CC is "matriculated" (or done high school and enrolled there) and enrolled at least half-time, that he would not count as a "child in college" on the FAFSA for the older sibling. It's definitely worth checking out, though, because if he could be counted, it will have a large effect on her EFC.

Brenda

Kathy,

I would check into this further with the FAFSA folks. You might also try asking on College Confidential in the financial aid section.

My guess is that unless the 2nd child at the CC is "matriculated" (or done high school and enrolled there) and enrolled at least half-time, that he would not count as a "child in college" on the FAFSA for the older sibling. It's definitely worth checking out, though, because if he could be counted, it will have a large effect on her EFC.

Brenda

I wonder if it would matter what arrangements there are for cc fees for high schoolers in different states. I think that homeschoolers here pay full cc fees.

I wonder if it would matter what arrangements there are for cc fees for high schoolers in different states. I think that homeschoolers here pay full cc fees.

I've paid full CC fees in the past, too, but I'm pretty sure whether the student qualifies as "in college" has to do whether he is matriculated and pursuing a degree. As I said, though, it's definitely worth checking out.

Brenda

You cannot fill out the fafsa for dual enrolled students. (Our dual enrolled ds's tuition was actually more than his college sister's last semester.

Here is the pertinent info for this link:

http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/2948-ask-kantro-are-dual-enrollment-students-considered-college-students-on-the-fafsa

Students who are enrolled in “dual enrollment†programs are not considered regular students because completion of the program does not lead to a degree or certificate and because the students are ineligible as they do not yet have a high school diploma or its equivalent. Likewise, students taking Advanced Placement (AP) classes or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes are not considered to be college students.

Dual enrollment programs are discussed on page 1-5 of the 2010-11 Federal Student Aid Handbook, which states: “A student enrolled in elementary or secondary school is not eligible for aid from the FSA programs, even if she is simultaneously enrolled in an eligible college program. A student is considered to be enrolled in secondary school if she is pursuing a high school diploma or if she has completed the requirements for a diploma, has not yet received it, and either she is taking college coursework for which her high school gives credit or her high school still considers her to be enrolled there.†The Federal Student Aid Handbook is published by the US Department of Education to provide guidance to college financial aid administrators in interpreting federal laws and regulations concerning federal student financial aid.

You cannot fill out the fafsa for dual enrolled students. (Our dual enrolled ds's tuition was actually more than his college sister's last semester.

Here is the pertinent info for this link:

http://www.fastweb.c...ts-on-the-fafsa

Students who are enrolled in “dual enrollment†programs are not considered regular students because completion of the program does not lead to a degree or certificate and because the students are ineligible as they do not yet have a high school diploma or its equivalent. Likewise, students taking Advanced Placement (AP) classes or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes are not considered to be college students.

Dual enrollment programs are discussed on page 1-5 of the 2010-11 Federal Student Aid Handbook, which states: “A student enrolled in elementary or secondary school is not eligible for aid from the FSA programs, even if she is simultaneously enrolled in an eligible college program. A student is considered to be enrolled in secondary school if she is pursuing a high school diploma or if she has completed the requirements for a diploma, has not yet received it, and either she is taking college coursework for which her high school gives credit or her high school still considers her to be enrolled there.†The Federal Student Aid Handbook is published by the US Department of Education to provide guidance to college financial aid administrators in interpreting federal laws and regulations concerning federal student financial aid.

Well that seems pretty clear about whom is considered to be enrolled in college. I wonder if this would be the sort of thing to point out in amplifying information provided to the college financial aid office. This is still a couple years off for us, but isn't there a mechanism for providing additional information that doesn't fit well within the constraints of the form?

I'm thinking that it might especially be relevant if many local dual enrollees would have free tuition or a tuition break, and especially if applying to colleges within the state who would not assume that the family was paying for these courses.

Not sure. About the only thing I'm actually confident about with regards to financial aid is that we will be told that our expected "contribution" is higher than we will be comfortable with. :bored:

Well that seems pretty clear about whom is considered to be enrolled in college. I wonder if this would be the sort of thing to point out in amplifying information provided to the college financial aid office. This is still a couple years off for us, but isn't there a mechanism for providing additional information that doesn't fit well within the constraints of the form?

There are definitely mechanisms (especially with the Profile) to explain extra expenses not captured on the form. I've read that some colleges will take these into account, but I think you're more likely to get a sympathetic ear if the expenses are for non-discretionary things like medical bills or costs associated with a disabled sibling, etc. I could see some colleges looking at DE expenses for a sibling as a discretionary thing.

Brenda

I'm thinking that it might especially be relevant if many local dual enrollees would have free tuition or a tuition break, and especially if applying to colleges within the state who would not assume that the family was paying for these courses.

Not sure. About the only thing I'm actually confident about with regards to financial aid is that we will be told that our expected "contribution" is higher than we will be comfortable with. :bored:

I don't think dual enrollment would qualify, and wouldn't expect it to, because it is something that one elects to do. It is an extra. High school costs are provided for by the state. If you choose to do high school classes outside of the state provided manner, it is on your own dime. (Actually, my state does pay for all/a portion of dual enrollment classes. I wouldn't expect it to though.) I see it to be the same as saying, but I have to pay for his brother's violin lessons...No, I don't. Brother doesn't have to take violin lessons.

I'm looking down the road and have wondered how does the FAFSA work when you have two in college. In a few years I'll have one son a junior in college and another starting out as a freshman. What can I expect as far as FAFSA is concerned - will my junior son get more "grants" from his college or does his merit/grant/scholarship/stafford/first parent loans stay the same for all four years? How does two in college affect my second son's financial packages from college or does it?

Just fishing for answers from those who have been there, done that or have already researched this?

Thanks,

Myra

I'm looking down the road and have wondered how does the FAFSA work when you have two in college. In a few years I'll have one son a junior in college and another starting out as a freshman. What can I expect as far as FAFSA is concerned - will my junior son get more "grants" from his college or does his merit/grant/scholarship/stafford/first parent loans stay the same for all four years? How does two in college affect my second son's financial packages from college or does it?

Just fishing for answers from those who have been there, done that or have already researched this?

Thanks,

Myra

The more in college at one time increases the amount of aid available.

Thanks,

Myra

Hi Myra,

I'm going off of what I've read over the years. My two will not be in college at the same time. Here are a few things I've gleaned, though.

When you have two in college, each one will have to fill out the FAFSA (or you fill it out for each of them). Each one will have an EFC of roughly half of what it would be for one child in college. It's only "roughly" because the exact number depends on each child's savings and earnings from work.

What happens next depends a lot on where the first child is going to college and what their aid policies are. If oldest's EFC drops in half and he/she is at a "full needs met" school (there aren't many of these), he/she should see more aid from the college. If oldest's college is not super generous, then they may or may not give more aid once the younger child starts. If the second child is going to a school with good aid, then he/she would get more aid the first two years (when older sib is also in school). Expect his/her bill to go up once older one graduates.

Like a lot of the financial aid stuff, it's not really cut and dried. Colleges now have cost calculators on their websites, so you can also play around with those, entering various scenarios to get some idea of how generous a school might be. Once you are thinking of specific schools, I'd suggest the forum College Confidential as a source on info on specific policies. You can post your question on the college's page there and hopefully, someone with a child already there will answer your question.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Brenda nailed it. The issue, as far as the colleges are concerned, is whether the EFC for your family is being split across two kids. The EFC formula comes up with how much (they think) you can afford to pay for college, irrespective of whether it is spread across 1 kid or multiple kids. If it is for multiple kids, your aid is bumped up.

Therefore, if you are NOT filing a FAFSA for the kid in CC then the answer is "No," you don't have another kid in college. But, you could list her tuition expenses in "private school tuition costs" and add a note.

Therefore, if you are NOT filing a FAFSA for the kid in CC then the answer is "No," you don't have another kid in college. But, you could list her tuition expenses in "private school tuition costs" and add a note.

It is incorrect to state that the student must fill out a FAFSA to be counted as a college student. Certainly a dually enrolled student does not count, but a matriculated sibling student working toward a degree and enrolled in the appropriate number of credit hours DOES count, regardless of whether he/she filled out a FAFSA of his/her own.

Wow thanks for all the help with this- I guess it is clear, although we do not get any money from the school for his cc classes I plan to count them as both- why not right- count it as high school and as college.

Thanks for all the help with this,

Kathy