Menu

Can you recommend a convertible car seat?

kitten18

My niece has a 1 year old who is just outgrowing his infant seat so she needs a convertible seat. Actually she will probably need two. So it would be great if they're not horribly expensive, or maybe one that is more expensive and then a cheaper one for the second car.

My kids had Marathons but that was many years ago and I don't know what is out there now.

Thanks.

Bumping this.

Niece is also pregnant with baby #2 (and it wouldn't surprise me if they have at least 3 kiddos) so they will definitely be able to pass car seats down as he gets older/bigger.

The Radian R100 looks like it could be the last car seat you would ever need but I'm not sure if she would want to spend that much since she needs 2 seats (for 2 different cars).

Any thoughts on the Evenflo Triumph65?

We really, really like the Graco MyRide, though it's a big seat. (We have the larger Graco infant seat, and the MyRide is wider and longer than the infant seat, even.) However, it also puzzles nicely with other seats (like the infant seat). It will fit a newborn, and our now 4yo was comfortable rear-facing in it until age 3. Our now 7yo fit in it (forward-facing) until age 5. I recently had to replace our MyRide because of a car accident, and the newer model MyRide is even nicer -- infant support padding (which I haven't used because my baby is 18 months, but it seems very nice), and a really nice head support for older babies (my 18mo seems comfortable in it), and a lot of nice padding around the upper head support wings (great for older toddlers/preschoolers).

I want to say that I've heard good things about the Triumph as well. The Cosco Scenera also gets good reports, especially for a secondary seat.

Radians are nice because they are narrow, but I also want to say that they're pretty tall. Also, the "only seat you need" might not be as helpful if you also want to pass seats down to another child. But I also think (and I would definitely research this) that Radians have a longer lifespan than other seats -- 7 or 8 years instead of the usual 6. (But do check on that.) So it might make sense just to get a couple of Radians to use for the long haul.

If she wants a forward-facing only seat (which I wouldn't recommend for the 1yo yet if she doesn't have to), we also really like our Evenflo Maestro (and again, I replaced it with another of the same). Our 4yo has been using it with the harness for a few months and will eventually use it as a high-back booster.

Britax (Marathons, etc.) also get good reviews but are pricey, and I don't know what the best options for which ages are with those.

I have a Cosco Scenera--it was supposed to be our 2nd carseat in dh's truck but it's in my car now. It's inexpensive and works. I think it goes to 65lbs. I think it cost about $40.

We have an Alpha Omega(All in One or something like that) that started out in my car but is in dh's truck. It's one of those carseats that breaks down into various parts as the child grows. It eventually becomes a booster w/110lb weight limit. It does what it is supposed to do. It was about $140 I think...maybe a little more. We have used it since #2 was a few months old--it's also rear-facing up to 35lbs.

My mom has a belt-positioning Cosco high back booster. She rarely goes anywhere w/#2 but it's in there if she needs it. It's for 30-100lbs forward facing only. I was a little worried about her using it since it's not a 5 point harness but it fits #2 just fine. It cost about $35.

I have a Cosco Scenera--it was supposed to be our 2nd carseat in dh's truck but it's in my car now. It's inexpensive and works. I think it goes to 65lbs. I think it cost about $40.

We had a Cosco Scenera as well for my DD. We were in a roll over about 3 years ago and she came out of the wreck without a scratch. We replaced it with a Graco Nautilus because she was able to be harnessed in longer (she's a wild child). I am planning on getting another Cosco Scenera for the baby due in April/May when he outgrows the infant seat.