Menu

Fraction trouble....7th grader

AngelBee

I think sometimes the best thing is to just work with him yourself . . if that makes sense. just start over and ask what he does know about fractions, and try to figure out what is tripping him up. sometimes i even print random free worksheets to work on review concepts. use visuals if you need to. LOF is not heavy on explanation, its just easy to get past math-haters because its silly. maybe try some khan academy videos or the key to series?

These books by Marilyn Burns Teaching Arithmetic: Lessons for Introducing Fractions, Teaching Arithmetic: Lessons for Extending Fractions, Teaching Arithmetic: Lessons for Multiplying and Dividing Fractions

found on this website http://store.mathsolutions.com/product-list.php?Fractions-pg1-cid63.html

are amazing for helping kids really understand fractions. They contain lessons, manipulatives and games. We've used all 3 with great success.

What a timely post....my 7th grade dd just ran out of the room crying because of fractions :(

We have LOF fractions, Math Mammoth. She's currently doing TT7 and using Khan Academy as backup...she still can't get it.

And, I was looking up reviews on MUS Epsilon when I came across your post....sigh.

I sympathize with you. HUG

We have done some khan videos. I do think part of the problem is I am horrible at fractions. :( They have always been my hang up.

Maybe I need to really do it with him. If we learn together, then I can help him.

I think this will be the key. It is difficult for most adults to find, identify, and remedy their own weaknesses. It is even more so for teenagers.

If this does not work, I would strongly look into hiring a tutor, whether online or face-to-face. Fractions are one of the absolutely essential topics of arithmetic that must be understood before any sort of advanced math.

Have you checked out the AIMS education foundation (Activities Integrating Math and Science) website? They have excellent, hands-on activities which build foundational understanding. You can click 'store,' then 'e-activities' and purchase/download some on various topics for a few dollars. You can also purchase books such as Actions with Fractions and Fabulous Fractions, too. Hope this helps.

Learn Math Fast fractions book is fantastic!! I have the whole set. I am pretty sure it's book 2 that you would need. I will be going back to fractions to make sure my daughter really gets it. I think she is weak in this area and this book makes it so easy! I bought this last year with intentions of using it as our main curriculum but just never did. You should take a look. We are starting it today.

Sandy

Going through Khan's on my Friday night. :) Figured I can lead by example and tackle my fraction weakness and that should build his confidence to do so. Still deciding what extras to bring in as money is an issue. For now, even if we only do math everyday, that is our focus. lol Make it fun and power through it.

Good for you! I recommend the Teacher/Student functions. You can track what he is doing and watch where he struggles. Really informative; there is a record of his every answer and how long it takes for him to answer.

I set up accounts about 18 months ago. It is time for me to be more proactive and actually USE it! lol

For simple fractions dealing with them in cooking situation (where there are fractions of cups or spoons of ingredients, and you might want to double or half or one and a half the recipe) to create something yummy like a cake or pizza that then in the cutting would yield more fractions to examine might help relieve some of the distress.