Menu

Best Algebra 2 Course

Dd used Lial's for Algebra 1 and is using BJU for Geometry. I am trying to decide which Algebra 2 course (those or others) she should use. I want it to prepare her well for the SAT/ACT. She might consider dual enrollment her senior year in order to complete her required 4th math. I think she has to take College Algebra as the 4th math, so I'll need it to prepare her for that as well. I can cover topics she might not have had when she gets into the class, but I'd like a program to cover as much as possible.

Would Lial's Intermediate Algebra do both, prepare for SAT/ACT and College Algebra? Would BJU do a better job, or is there something else I should consider? I don't need a video component because I can teach it to her. She is not my child who loves math, but she can learn it for tests. She made a 62 out of 80 on the PSAT. I felt that was a good score considering she hasn't finished Geometry yet.

Lial's is a good Algebra II text, but my favorite program is Kinetic Books.

Thank you for mentioning this, but dd doesn't like computer programs for learning. She's a book, pencil, and paper girl! My son is a different story, though. I noticed they list Algebra 1 and 2, and then they list Geometry. Is that the sequence they recommend? I find it odd when I see Geometry recommended after Algebra 2 because I've not seen a Geometry program that uses Algebra 2 concepts. It seems to me you'd have a whole year of using basic Algebra before having to jump back in to harder Algebra in Pre-Calculus.

My daughter used Margaret Lial's books for Algebra I and II. Between those two years, she did Geometry using Harold Jacobs' book. She went on to the local community college and tested comfortably into College Algebra (there she used Sullivan's PreCalculus for both her College Algebra and Trigonometry classes).

Just as an aside, the author of the Life of Fred has written his books to follow the progression of Algebra I and II and then Geometry.

Regards,

Kareni

We're sticking with Saxon even though it isn't fashionable. Ds studied Alg 1, some of Jacob's Geometry, then Saxon Alg 2. At the local cc he tested out of college algebra and almost out of trig after finishing Alg 2 his sophomore year. He also made a 79 on PSAT math. I am NOT bragging on my son because he never made above a B in math! I just think the text prepared him well. He did a decent amount of studying for the PSAT, but none for the cc test.

My daughter is doing Algebra II with Derek Owens. So far so good. http://www.derekowen...fo_algebra2.php

Does it use a particular textbook? I don't need to pay for a teacher because I have a math degree. I just feel out of the loop on how she needs to prepare best for college classes and college entrance testing because it's so different now than when I was in college. I saw the syllabus for a friend's student in a college Algebra class, and it seemed odd to me. It skipped all around the book, and I liked the order of the book.