Menu

Does this history curriculum exist??? If not, what is the nearest thing to it?

In my perfect world, history curriculum would be very affordable and would look like this:

Biblical history would be seamlessly incorporated into ancient history (i.e. while David was king of Israel, this was going on in ___).

The study of history would begin with Creation.

The "spine" would be streaming videos (YouTube, Discovery Streaming, Netflix) that would introduce and give an overview of each time period/civilization studied.

Quality literature would fill in the details with engaging stories (historical fiction and historical non-fiction) of individuals who lived during a given period. This literature would include "classics" as well as "modern classics".

Colorful, detailed reference books would be provided for students to research people, time periods, geography, etc.

A student packet would contain all the necessary map work and research activities.

Architects, painters, scultptors, composers, and their works would be studied through virtual tours or concerts as well as hands-on creative opportunities.

Daily lesson plans (with a 4-day option) would be neatly laid out in grid format, and there would be no flipping back and forth or going from one binder to another to find everything.

Is there anything even remotely like this out there???

Yup, VP online is all that or at least close as I've found. What grade do you want this for? My dd is a history nut, and for her, as she's gotten older, I've shifted trying to sync things and I more just throw resources at her for the extras (opera, cultural history, etc.). We did the VP elementary sequence, are doing the BJU world this year, and we'll go back to VP for their self-paced Omnibus when it comes out.

I looked at Omnibus I, and it's going to be way, way over these girls' heads, even though they will be high schoolers. :( They are barely able to write coherent paragraphs, so I am pushing them to their limits when I assign a basic book report or a 5-paragraph essay. They are very poor readers and not very academic-minded AT.ALL. They are not interested in college--they want to be hairdressers. (Not that being a hairdresser is a bad thing, but I say this to let you know that they are not going to be up for anything scholarly.) I am going to have to do a basic history program with them, and I would LOVE to find something that is all laid out, particularly something that incorporates videos in place of a spine book because reading is so hard for them.

I had forgotten your situation, sorry! Have you looked at the Walch PowerBasics series? They have history, science, etc., all at the high school level but written for a MUCH lower reading level. You might find it would work for them. Wouldn't give you videos, but it would make it trim enough that you'd have time for movies and videos.

I had forgotten your situation, sorry! Have you looked at the Walch PowerBasics series? They have history, science, etc., all at the high school level but written for a MUCH lower reading level. You might find it would work for them. Wouldn't give you videos, but it would make it trim enough that you'd have time for movies and videos.

I remember that you mentioned this before, and I did take a look. I liked what I saw, but I completely forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder. :)

Did you look at the VP Elementary sample videos? Could you use them as a spine and add to that to bring it to their level?

It really is very good, and given that you want the spine to be video-based, I wonder if this might work.

I didn't see this at the VP site. Can you link it? Thanks. :)

1. Affordable

2. Biblical history seamlessly incorporated into ancient history

3. Begins with Creation

4. Spine of introductory streaming videos

5. Quality literature, including historical fiction and non-fiction

6. Colorful, detailed reference books

7. Student packet with map work & activities

8. Composers, artists & architects included (with virtual tours & concerts)

9. Daily lesson plans in 4- or 5-day grid options

That's quite a list! :)

I don't know how affordable they are, but have you looked at Veritas Press' online history courses? Even though these are geared to elementary students, you could use them with your highschoolers to provide an overview of history.

Would they benefit from listening to Diana Waring? Her enthusiasm for learning might motivate them to learn! These courses also incorporate the music, art, architecture and other aspects that you wanted in your perfect study. And, they are adaptable to teach them at a pace of one course per year (for three years), or shorter or longer, as needed. Perhaps something in these courses will appeal to your students' learning styles, which are evidently not book-based.

Another thought is, could you take two years and work through Sonlight Core G & Core H? Core G is geared to 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, Core H to 7th, 8th, and 9th. I realize these are reading-heavy, but perhaps you could pull some top picks out of these cores for read alouds. Your students would likely benefit from being read to each day.

For those days when you are too worn out to read aloud, they could listen to these for history, these for more history, these for biographies, these for classic literature & more history, these for composers, these for more composers, and these for even more composers (LOL). HTH.

In the fall VP has typically done a 2 or 4 week trial. (used to be 4, now 2) I suggest before you decide on that as a plan you do some demo. Even with SN, they may be rather sensitive to age. I think doing the *upper* classes could work (the Middle Ages and the 2 american courses), but I wouldn't expect the two lower ones to work. Obviously don't know your girls, just saying. The OTAE course was the first they made, and it's the roughest (least sophisticated) and youngest. They improve and have a bit more maturity expected as you go up. The VP courses also use a lot of games interspersed with lecture. The games require some skill and facility. If they just want to get in and get it done, I'd go Walch or even AOP (the computer version). Or look back at Ottakee's posts in your threads. She has a ton of experience with this.

We've done all the VP online self-paced courses btw and love 'em. I'm just pondering how they would work in your situation, not knowing your girls.

You might want to check out Diana Waring's History Revealed curriculum through Answers in Genesis: http://www.answersingenesis.org/store/product/history-revealed-romans-reformers-full-curriculum/?sku=40-1-243

The recommended ages states grades 6-12; however, they developed a student workbook for the lower grades so you can seamlessly integrate younger kids. I just purchased this curriculum for my dd next year.

Church history is woven in chronologically through the reading; living books are suggested for each section (both fiction and nonfiction); audio books are incorporated through Diana Warings CD's; several research projects are provided to suit each child's interest; timeline work; maps & mapping exercises; art, science, music and cooking activities are also provided - all related to the time period you choose. From what I can see perusing my set, it is extremely comprehensive. I think what I like most is that several different projects/activities are provided but the emphasis is on the child to choose which of those projects he or she would like to do. For instance, there are 15 choices for each chapter for a research project/report.

Right now they have a sale going on and you can purchase a complete set of one of the 4 time periods for only $99. The only thing not provided would be the streaming videos, but you could easily obtain those through YouTube - History Channel, PBS, Discovery videos. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime (if you have any of those) would also provide opportunities.

I think we will be very happy with this next year.

Have you looked at Guesthollow's Awesome History Timeline. It has the video links and movies that go with the novels/historical fiction/biographies of the era. It has a list of spines. It has the composers/sculptors/artists studies and integrates it with Bible history. The only thing it doesn't have is the graph, but her approach is that you just do the next thing on the list until it gets done or you can skip if the interest level is not there. I really like her take on this and plan to follow much the same idea. I can't get the link right now but you should be able to find it by googling it. Hope that helps.

This is very much like Heart of Dakota's program except for the videos. Actually sometimes they do have videos. This year my daughter has been watching a video on the Presidents all throughout the year. She also listens to Diana Waring audios that are also scheduled. If you wanted to, you could add in a few more videos. I keep a running playlist for my kids to watch related subjects. HOD also has all the extra subjects you mentioned. It is also a 4 day plan all laid out for you.

I should also mention Tapestry of Grace has most of this also but not so neatly planned out for you.

Regarding Heart of Dakota...

Biblical history would be seamlessly incorporated into ancient history (i.e. while David was king of Israel, this was going on in ___). YES

The study of history would begin with Creation. YES

The "spine" would be streaming videos (YouTube, Discovery Streaming, Netflix) that would introduce and give an overview of each time period/civilization studied. NO but there are DVD's in some of the levels. Adding these in would be very easy. I love this idea btw.

Quality literature would fill in the details with engaging stories (historical fiction and historical non-fiction) of individuals who lived during a given period. This literature would include "classics" as well as "modern classics". YES

Colorful, detailed reference books would be provided for students to research people, time periods, geography, etc. YES, but limited. They do assign research assignments.

A student packet would contain all the necessary map work and research activities. YES, gorgeous notebooking pages, maps made just for HOD and research projects.

Architects, painters, scultptors, composers, and their works would be studied through virtual tours or concerts as well as hands-on creative opportunities. Yes, different levels focus on this type of thing.

Daily lesson plans (with a 4-day option) would be neatly laid out in grid format, and there would be no flipping back and forth or going from one binder to another to find everything. Yes to the 4 day schedule, not in a grid format however. You wouldn't have to do a ton of flipping. There is an appendix with some information, but most of it is on the daily schedule. Samples are on their website.

This is very much like Heart of Dakota's program except for the videos. Actually sometimes they do have videos. This year my daughter has been watching a video on the Presidents all throughout the year. She also listens to Diana Waring audios that are also scheduled. If you wanted to, you could add in a few more videos. I keep a running playlist for my kids to watch related subjects. HOD also has all the extra subjects you mentioned. It is also a 4 day plan all laid out for you.

I should also mention Tapestry of Grace has most of this also but not so neatly planned out for you.

Regarding Heart of Dakota...

Biblical history would be seamlessly incorporated into ancient history (i.e. while David was king of Israel, this was going on in ___). YES

The study of history would begin with Creation. YES

The "spine" would be streaming videos (YouTube, Discovery Streaming, Netflix) that would introduce and give an overview of each time period/civilization studied. NO but there are DVD's in some of the levels. Adding these in would be very easy. I love this idea btw.

Quality literature would fill in the details with engaging stories (historical fiction and historical non-fiction) of individuals who lived during a given period. This literature would include "classics" as well as "modern classics". YES

Colorful, detailed reference books would be provided for students to research people, time periods, geography, etc. YES, but limited. They do assign research assignments.

A student packet would contain all the necessary map work and research activities. YES, gorgeous notebooking pages, maps made just for HOD and research projects.

Architects, painters, scultptors, composers, and their works would be studied through virtual tours or concerts as well as hands-on creative opportunities. Yes, different levels focus on this type of thing.

Daily lesson plans (with a 4-day option) would be neatly laid out in grid format, and there would be no flipping back and forth or going from one binder to another to find everything. Yes to the 4 day schedule, not in a grid format however. You wouldn't have to do a ton of flipping. There is an appendix with some information, but most of it is on the daily schedule. Samples are on their website.

And yet, HOD falls short on the "affordable" quality, IMO.

MFW CtG has 6 of your 8 requirements (in the edition I have you have to photo copy the student pages so no separate packet and there are no you tube links).

Yep, except I'm going to say that it has 7 of your 8 requirements, as the newer edition has a separate student pack with all of your maps and notebooking pages in it, so no photocopying required. (You would purchase one set per student.) And while the main spine isn't video, there are several video suggestions throughout the Book Basket list in the back of the TM. There are approx. 400 (give or take) book and video titles on that list from which to choose for optional reading (and viewing), as time and interest allow. The list is divided up by week # and topic, so you can easily find what you're looking for. Prep time in MFW is minimal.

God and the History of Art (scheduled in CTG) would meet the art requirements (minus video, but you could easily find pictures and virtual tours online). Architecture of the time period will also be covered, and MFW schedules composer studies, too. http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/15/0/1