Menu

6th grade is going to be the death of me

We always purchase our cirruculum with our tax return and since that is coming up soon I need to get this together. I am lost when it comes to middle school.

DS is currently doing

Teaching textbooks 5

Just finished Classic Life Science

History is SOTW2 along with Classical house of learning literature

Spelling Workout

Random Grammer we have found when he needs a refresher.

I have no clue what to do. I love the idea of a totally preplanned cirruculum but they are pricey. I need something that is fairly kid directed as I also have a 6 year old I am schooling as well as a 2 year old.

Help please????

Its not working because there is too much pre planning on my part. Not only do I school my two older kids, I take care of my 2 year old PLUS I am going to college online as well. I am purchasing Abeka grade 1 for my dd for next year. But 6th grade and above kinda scare me. I cannot afford to spend close to 1000 on a full box set, plus I dont like abeka math. I dont know what I am looking for here, lol

Well, TT6 doesn't require planning on your part. It is probably the least parent intensive math out there. Do you want to keep it?

And isn't spelling workout a situation where you can just tell him to do the next page? I don't know- maybe sequential spelling or Calvert spelling on CD. I don't know if these grade for you or not.

Maybe switched on schoolhouse?

Mandy

I have just discovered a gold mine -for us anyway! It's the Currclick live classes (am I allowed to post a link?). So far I'm very impressed. My kids are doing Mandarin and a Fractions class. I'm lingering close by getting breakfast for my little girls while a professional Math teacher is teaching my dd 10 to add fractions :p

This may save my sanity DS 12 :)

Editing to say that my ILL/WS idea did not Pan out. :( unfortunately my son looked at samples and hated them...and really, he's a good kid and there are so many choices.

So I've actually settled on sticking with Abeka for Grammar and using Jump In! For Writing. Jump In looks like a lot of fun, I love the layout and teaching style. And the author had just released a high school curriculum although it is not published by Apologia.

ILL is Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl.

I recommend Hake Grammar 6 for sixth grade, it has a writing portion too if you want to try that. I don't use the writing portion but use Writing with Skill instead. Both of these programs are student directed and fairly independent.

I'll second Hake being a good choice for grammar. It is one of the more independent ones I've seen. We use the writing, but supplement it with writing across the curriculum and such. And it's not that expensive (around $50 for all three books per level).

Agree that Switched on Schoolhouse or Monarch may be a good option for History and Science. Again, these would be fairly independent options.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is what I have so far:

Grammar: KISS grammar

History: SOTW3 along with Classical house of learning Literature

Math: TT6

Spelling: SWO G,H

Writing: WWS level 1

Know I just need to pick a science and language. He wants a biology type science and I haven't asked him what language he wants to learn yet.

Does this seem good?

It looks good. Is he a pretty good independent worker? We are liking Spanish for Children. My dd does it pretty independently. She has the audio downloaded to the computer to listen to. And there are DVDs available, though we haven't used them. She does the audio and the workbook and practices saying the words and phrases. We also have other children's books and games in Spanish for us to play around with.

Math and spelling are fine. We dont really have a grammer/english though. I was going to use Shirley English but I couldnt stand the format at all. So I need something for English, history and Science...I guess

Hake is great for grammar (we skip the writing portion, but I've heard a few say they like it). It can be done pretty independently. With one of my children, I read the lessons to him for some time until he became acclimated to it, but my other child never needed me to do that.

SL could be independent for history, lit and science if you have a strong reader. I've always used SL and I do enjoy the read-alouds, but my kids could easily read them on their own at this point. If SL isn't of interest, another option would be K-12's The Human Odyssey texts. They are well-written. My son likes reading them for pleasure, but he is a history nut.