Menu

AoPS Prealgebra - Sources for additional practice questions?

I just started using AoPS Prealgebra with my daughter. As we work through it, she is grasping the principles being taught, but lacks confidence (she is still adjusting to their teaching style). I found that if I made up a few more problems that mirrored the ones in the book, she'd see the patterns being used and understand that she did "get it." So, I'd like to have additional practice problems so that she can practice each new skill (as needed). I can continue to make them up, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do.

We are in the process of signing up for their Alcumus service (sending in the fax), so we haven't used it yet. Will it provide this type of additional practice?

Or are there other resources - such as online sites that let you print out math worksheets, or workbooks - that would be good sources of additional questions?

InterAct math is the online component of Pearson publishing's math software. You can't save a student's work, but there's free (for now) work from many of their textbooks. You can look for any text and use their problems on a similar topic.

I like Woodbury for Algebra I and II.

For prealgebra, I might go with Martin-Gay, although I haven't used one of her texts in years.

Problems will be very similar in the books.

I just started using AoPS Prealgebra with my daughter. As we work through it, she is grasping the principles being taught, but lacks confidence (she is still adjusting to their teaching style). I found that if I made up a few more problems that mirrored the ones in the book, she'd see the patterns being used and understand that she did "get it." So, I'd like to have additional practice problems so that she can practice each new skill (as needed). I can continue to make them up, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do.

We are in the process of signing up for their Alcumus service (sending in the fax), so we haven't used it yet. Will it provide this type of additional practice?

Or are there other resources - such as online sites that let you print out math worksheets, or workbooks - that would be good sources of additional questions?

While you wait for her account to get settled you could set one up in your name. Do the problems together or see who can solve them faster. When she has an account you can be "friends" and compare point totals.