Menu

LA for the easily overwhelmed child

shinyhappypeople

"Challenging" is a bad word to my 9 yo. She will shut down, become angry or just weep if she thinks something is too hard.

To her, most curricula feels like navigating a Class VI rapid, meaning its pretty much impossible to survive. I'm looking for a curricula that is like floating in our canoe on a peaceful stretch of river, with the sun warming our backs as we chat about life and enjoy the day. We still make progress, it's just slow. Slow is okay. This isn't a race.

We haven't done very much spelling instruction, but she can read fine (making huge leaps in the reading area in the last few months). We've been using CLE Language Arts 100, which I love and I thought she liked, but she admitted that she was only going along with it because she hated the math we were using and knew I wouldn't be willing to change both. So, she decided to pick her battles. (Smart girl and good negotiating skills!)

I'm not sure if we'll finish out CLE 100 (probably will). I don't worry about her being "behind," but I would like her to make forward progress, even if it's slow and gentle. I'd prefer to stay away from workbooks. We need spelling, grammar and writing.

Any ideas?

Copywork from books she is reading. Narrate from books you read to her. Dictation for spelling. Maybe occasionally ask her to circle the nouns in a sentence she copies, and learn grammar in a more organic way. Easy peasy. Use those beautiful books in Ambleside Online and read up on Charlotte Mason.

Copywork from books she is reading. Narrate from books you read to her. Dictation for spelling. Maybe occasionally ask her to circle the nouns in a sentence she copies, and learn grammar in a more organic way. Easy peasy. Use those beautiful books in Ambleside Online and read up on Charlotte Mason.

Exactly what I was thinking. GMTA. :laugh:

Queen Homeschool Supply

What about First Language Lessons? the 1/2 book. It's very gentle and yet continues moving forward. Or Primary Language Lessons. We've loved both of these and I can't wait to get back to them with my youngest when it's time.

Good luck,