Menu

HOW do u use SOTW

mlgbug

Here's how a week used to go for us:

Friday - look ahead to next chapter's topic and activities. Make supply list, check online library catalog for picture books and video. Check out Mrdonn.org for links and do a quick search for horrible histories and other youtube clips.

Over the weekend - pick up supplies, go to the library.

Monday - present activity or map work. Read aloud while activity is being done or map filled out.

Tuesday - look at the picture books and links/online videos.

Wednesday - read second half of chapter while looking at the map or doing small activity (like making a paper doll or drawing a picture of what's going on. Add to timeline at the end.

Thursday - longer involved activity from the guide. Acting out or something of the sort.

Friday - watch video, write about what was learned and add it to the notebook. I look ahead, make the list, check out links.

As The Kid got older sometimes the picture books were replaced with a fiction chapter book for him to read, especially if the subject was a longer one (like Rome or Egypt).

I have a 1st-grader. I just read 1 section of a chapter per day, 3 days a week. I pick any 3 days from Monday to Thursday. He colors while I read if there's a corresponding coloring sheet. Then I help him with a narration, and we do the map/other paperwork together. Friday I try to do an activity. I look ahead sometime in the week and pick the one that I can easily do with what we have on hand. Since he's so young, he needs a lot of help, so we don't get too involved. You can see the ziggurat and mummified apple from this week at my blog link below. We also haven't added much lit at his age. I will when they get older. The few times we have, it's been a bit much. :) We're loving it, though!

we keep it pretty simple. read one section a day and do review questions and narration. one day she colors while i read, whichever section best corresponds to the coloring sheet. then she watches corresponding videos and does the mapwork, lapbook, and timeline. then we do an activity if we are. we school year round so i don't worry too much about when we get through a chapter- sometimes it's a week, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 days. if you need links for the videos, lapbook, etc, i'd be happy to provide them.

I did one section of a chapter, 3 days per week (MWF). I read the section out loud, then we used the narration questions in the AG and did an oral narration. On the last day of a chapter, I assigned the map work (it can be done independently by child who reads well). At first, we also did one project per chapter, but I eventually dropped that.

I got at least 2-3 library books per chapter, and let my son read those on his own, unless it was long/dense and needed me to read it aloud.

We spent about 20-30 minutes each day on history (3 days per week).

I play two chapters a week from the cd. I play them at least three times. The first day he colors the map for the first chapter, the second he does the map for the second chapter. Sometimes he does the other sheets. On Friday we do the test together as a review worksheets and then we do lapbook sections for each chapter.

We generally read a chapter from SOTW on Monday. Usually we read the full chapter; sometimes I split it and finish it on Tuesday. We do the map page either Monday or Tuesday. Then, Tuesday through Thursday, we read supplemental books and do projects (sometimes; my kids are picky about projects). Sometimes, if a chapter is short and doesn't have a lot of supplemental books or activitis, we will do two chapters in one week.

we keep it pretty simple. read one section a day and do review questions and narration. one day she colors while i read, whichever section best corresponds to the coloring sheet. then she watches corresponding videos and does the mapwork, lapbook, and timeline. then we do an activity if we are. we school year round so i don't worry too much about when we get through a chapter- sometimes it's a week, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 days. if you need links for the videos, lapbook, etc, i'd be happy to provide them.

This is pretty much exactly what I do. We do history 4 days a week. We do one section a day: reading, doing the review questions and narration to go with the reading, doing a coloring page or map if one corresponds with that reading, adding a sentence to the timeline. After two or three days of reading and doing the corresponding maps/coloring pages (however many sections are in that chapter) we have an activity day when we do one or two activities from the AG. We also sometimes take a break from SOTW and spend a few weeks going more in depth into a person or time period.

I don't school year round, but I've decided that I'd rather take history more slowly and let it take 5 years to get through the 4-year cycle.

My 3rd grader this year: We do 1 chp. a week.

Mon: We start with memory work. WTM suggests the list of Egyptian pharaohs for SOTW1 memorywork. I have opted out of that one LOL. We are learning the books of the Bible in order this year and reviewing past lists like the lists of US presidents and Am. States in alphabetical order to keep them fresh. I read sec. 1 aloud. DD colors the picture while I read aloud. We discuss w/the discussin questions. Then I help her dictate a narration to me which I write down in my writing. If there is time that day she then copies it into her hand. Sometimes I have her do it the next day for handwriting practice.

Tues. Memory work, then I read sec 2 aloud. We do the questions aloud. Then I help her with another narration sometimes. Then we do mapwork.

During the week, I check out books from the library for next week's chapter, so theoretically I should have this week's books on hand. But we often read books that correspond to cultures we have already studied and it doesn't cause any problems. I read a couple aloud during the week, and sometimes assign some to dd8 for her reading for the week if there is a good reader or easy chp. book at her level. I sometimes use the picture books for her reading aloud practice.

The goal is at least 1 written narration a week for her. We do writing in other subjects, and she is not a good speller yet, so she isn't ready to write them on her own w/out me taking it down first. I take it slow and steady with this one.

We don't do projects this year. We did tons of SOTW1 projects our first time through 4 yrs ago, but we didn't do a day out of the house a week for co-op that year. We would do history and art projects on Fridays then. Now we have hands on projects there in other subjects (art and science and latin club this year..) so we don't do history projects.

We try to do one chapter a week, but I don't worry if that doesn't happen (she's kindergarten age still).

I read the first section to her and we do the review questions together orally. I read other sections and do the same. I help her form a two sentence (or more if she's really into it) narration, and then write it down for her. Sometimes she wants to write it herself. Then we do the coloring pages if there are any and the map work. I show her the location on the globe or in the atlas. Last come any of the activities that are simple enough for us to do.

We do all this over the course of two or three days.

The week before, I put the suggested books on hold so that we can pick them up during our weekly library trip on Mondays. These she reads on her own time. I read them to her if she asks. She's the kind of kid who will sit on the couch for an hour reading anything I leave out.

We listen to one chapter a week in the car. We do mapwork and any workbook type stuff one day (older does outlining in kingfisher encyclopedia). One other day we do an enrichment activity from the AG. I will often read to 2nd grader from a supplemental book and asign a book for 6th grader to read in conjunction. I have them practice handwriting by copying narrations once a week as well.

I start the year by looking through the book and dividing the 42 chapters into 36 weeks. I combine shorter chapters and give an entire week to longer chapters, where possible. We school 4 days a week, covering history on Mondays and Wednesdays and science on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Monday I read the entire chapter for that week while my sons work on the coloring page (they love the coloring pages!). I stop after certain sections so that each of them can do one narration. After we finish reading the chapter and narrating, I ask the questions from the Activity Guide and they take turns answering. Next we do the map work. On Wednesday, if we are covering the same chapter, we read books from the library suggested in the Activity Guide and we may also take time for narrations. If we are moving on to the next chapter, we basically do the same things we did on Monday. In this case, we find other time for reading the books from the library. I look them over and see if there are any the boys can read to themselves. If so, I will use them for assigned reading time. If not, I find the ones we don't want to miss and we read them at bedtime or first thing in the morning when the boys are still waking up or some other time.

That's pretty much it. When we started SOTW 1 last January, I picked out projects to do with the boys that went along with the lessons and we found time to do them. It didn't take me long to see that they lost interest in the projects fairly quickly and I was left to complete them. I stopped including them and the boys never said anything about it so, at least for now, we are not doing the projects. It would not surprise me if they wanted to start again later this year or next year but we will see. Right now, they would rather play with Legos, or some other toy, they spend time working on a project.