Menu

Christian Heroes Then and Now -- Have you read these?

Sahamamama

We love them. I don't think they're poorly written. I'm not saying they'll win a Nobel Prize for Literature, but it never even occurred to me that there was anything weird about the writing style. They have generated more cool conversations between us and our kids than any other books we've read. Also, even years after reading one, my daughter will hear about China, for instance, and say, "Oh, remember when Gladys was in China and did xyz....?" (The Gladys Alyward book from that series.) She does that with many of the books. They've really made an impact for us.

I have a bunch of these that I picked up at a local thrift store for 55 cents each. My dh is reading them to the kids, and so far they have read three of them. My dh and two older kids all enjoy them very much. I don't think they are amazing literature or anything but the stories are very interesting and inspiring.

My kids love them. We just finished Cameron Townshend (began Wycliffe Bible Translators) and will pick up another one tomorrow. On Fridays we don't do our normal Bible curriculum. We do a verse quiz and then read from one of the Christian Heroes books. Takes us a while to get through a book, but that's ok. I agree with the other posters that it's not Pulitzer Prize winning literature, but it's fine. It's interesting and inspiring and keeps my kids attention.